Teatro Colon and Beerlingual Trivia Night


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
October 18th 2011
Published: October 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today for class we went to the colon theater. i hopped on the good old 29 and rode it to centro after dropping off my laundry on the way. i thought that i had enough time but i got there late because there was a lot of traffic. not to mention there was a guy that looked like he was having a seizure on the bus. he was shaking uncontrollably and kept saying that he needed to get to this hospital. our bus driver finally pulled over and, with the help of a few other passengers, helped the man get to the clinic. even though it made me late for my field trip, it was really cool to see everyone on the bus come together to help a complete stranger. the entire way people kept telling him how many more blocks were left and that we were almost there. say what you will about porteƱos, but all of the ones that i have met have been pretty kind and helpful.
i finally decided to just get off the bus and walk the rest of the way, making it to the theater just before the trip was about to start. The theater was beautiful and my pictures dont even do it justice. there was marble and statues everywhere with a grand staircase entryway and stained glass ceilings. the tour guide told us about how the theater required a lot of things to be brought in from Europe. its also an eclectic mix of a lot of different styles, french, italian, spanish, etc. we finally made it in to the actually theater and it was incredible. i have to go see a show there. apparently the have tickets that you can buy for around 30 pesos. i think id like to see a concert there because apparently the colon theater has one of the best accoustics in the world. pretty impressive.
after the theater i walked back with my class so that we could review for our midterm for the next week (i was hoping that class would just end from there 😞 ).
later that night i went with 3 of my housemates to another spanglish event, Beerlingual Trivia Night. Its a fun night of pizza, beer and trivia questions. I really enjoyed it and i think ill be back next week. the only bummer was that i didnt get to practice too much spanish because most of the people there were native english speakers. (the rain might have also had something to do with it. ive been told that argentines dont go anywhere when it rains). i did however enjoy hanging getting to hang out with good company and cheap beer. plus i love meeting new people and finding out the stories of how they ended up in Argentina. cant wait for more field trips and spanglish events!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

the obeliskthe obelisk
the obelisk

i took this on our way back from the theater


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb