end of the earth to buenos aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
February 24th 2011
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

hello again!

heres what we have been up to lately! after leaving puerto natales we caught a bus to ushuaia. ushuaia is the southernmost city in the world aka. the end of the world! crazy!? it was a neat little town, the major thing it has going for it though is its location.. its a small little town mostly offering boat tours of the beagle channel, wildlife and of course the end of the world lighthouse. naturally we took a boat tour which was well worth the pesos. we saw the picturesque lighthouse, a sealion colony (man they stink!), an island full of cormorants (neat!) and did a little walk around alice (?) island which is the home territory of the yamana people.. very neat! the other cool thing about ushuaia is that it was originally established by the argentine government as a penal colony. in 1902 the government shipped 40 volunteer prisoners there in the middle of winter... brr... it is consider part of the antarctic zone by the way...later it became an infamous prison for some of argentinas most dangerous criminals.. anyway the jail is still standing and is now a wonderful museum (with english translations... so helpful!) also we got our passports stamped to say that we visited the end of the world... cute!

during our time in ushuaia we began to plan our bus adventure up to buenos aires... turns out it is actually the same price to fly as it is to bus...and around 4 days shorter....we decided to fly. so after we left the jail we headed to the airport and caught a 945 plane to buenos aires... the plane was a bit delayed and we made a stop in bariloche.. which we didnt know about when we booked the ticket... nonetheless we arrived in beunos aires around 4am.. we spent a few hours in the airport and then cabbed to our hostel. the hostel we are staying at is great, one of the better ones we have stayed at since being here! nice comfy couches, good shower and bed, nice breakfast and super clean!

buenos aires is also amazing! aly and i have spent our time here just wandering around the streets and taking photos (sorry slow connection again so no photos). we visted the amazing pink house to day where the famous madonna, i mean evita gave her speech and also the plaza de mayo, a cool plaza for people watching and apparently protests.. dont worry, nothing major or dangerous. we have also noticed that the people here are as we would describe them... most fabulous... everyone is very well dressed and they pull off a kind of casual glamour i have never seen before! awesome! we also hit up a tango show tonight... dry ice and sequin overload... but the dancing was AMAZING!!! tango mania! in my wildest dreams could i ever dance like that! wow!

anyway tomorrow we are doing more touring, looking for bus tickets to uruguay and perhaps seeking out fabulous leather bags... haha! all is well! love to everyone, especially those in vic who according to news on facebook are under a foot of snow! yikes!

much love, mon!

Advertisement



27th February 2011

Cookies!
Hi Monica Glad to hear you're doing so well. I just made a largish batch of cookies and I MUST get them out of the house. Of course that made me think of you! But then again you probably are full from eating endangered penguins, and wouldn't have any room for cookies anyway.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb