La Bombanera


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
March 26th 2006
Published: April 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Buenos Aires


La BombaneraLa BombaneraLa Bombanera

Boca Juniors v River Plate
Hola!

We've been in Beunos Aires for over two weeks now and have probably got only a week left before we set off to see the rest of Latin America. The highlight so far is definately witnessing the Boca v River game at La Bombanera, home of the Boca Juniors. It's the biggest game of the season and was a sell-out months ago. We managed to get tickets through our hostel but had to fork out 50 quid each.

It was the most intense football match I've ever experienced. We met up with the guy who got us the tickets, only to find out we were in the River section. Luckily, there was a party of about 15 tourists, so we didn't feel so isolated. We had to go through 5 police barriers just to get to the stadium. As we were standing in line waiting to get in, Boca fans from way above were having a spitting contest.

Our seats were way at the top of the stadium behind the goal. We were in the 'poplar' section which means we were in the terraces. The build up to the game was immense. It was like something out
River LocoRiver LocoRiver Loco

Corporate seats at La Bombanera
of a computer game: ticker tape, streamers, coloured smoke and the biggest flags you have ever seen. River fans were scaling the fence in front of us to tie on their own flags. It was crazy, they were balancing on a fence, no wider than your hand, with a huge drop to the the tier below them.

River went one up. No one in our section could see the goal because the fence and the flags were in the way, but the stand erupted. The celebrations acted as a stampede and we were thrown down the steps, falling on top of people below us.

Three people got sent off and Boca equalised in the last few minutes. Seeing the reaction of the Boca fans was unforgettable. So too was the River fan perched on the fence, who took out his frustration by pissing on the Boca fans below.

I won't bore you with anymore. Needless to say it was a wicked day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb