Nextperience


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
January 21st 2010
Published: January 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Marta CruzMarta CruzMarta Cruz

The axioms of the Internet
Marta Cruz, a Director at Nexperiance Performace Ideas, gave a presentation at the Aspen Towers Hotel on the changing dynamics of internet marketing in Latam (Latin America). With two other members, Nextperience was founded six months ago to handle the exploding social networking trends of South America. The firm has already enjoyed the successful consultancy of major American and Latam firms such as HP, Intel, and Coca Cola. Marta covered several universal axioms of the internet relating to empathy and providing social space for the customer to voice their opinions but also provided some interesting thoughts on social media in Latin America. At current publication, 94% of 12-18 year olds actively use social networking while 75% of 17-34 year olds use social networking. With such large market penetration, firms looking to expand or maintain control their market share in Latin American countries must take advantage of the potential to influence customers.

As I listened to Marta’s presentation, I couldn’t help but think of Tom Friedman’s prophetic book, The World Is Flat. The ever-expanding network of social media utilizes each cultures strengths and weaknesses by providing a format with which to build upon but what can social media companies do to maximize their potential in different cultures? For instance, a culture that guards privacy will have a difficult time accepting the traditional formats for social media. For a country like Argentina, where political instability is a major issue for its citizens, what are the ramifications for allowing the government access to a profile site like Facebook? While the consultancy model for social media has done well for those prophesying the future of social media trends, the verdict is still out to see how micro and macro influences will affect the usage and monetization of social media.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.08s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb