25 de Mayo


Advertisement
Published: May 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

History/ Politics Blog #3
Happy Independence Day, Argentina! Felicitaciones! Today is, technically, the mark of 199 years of independence from Spanish rule for Argentina. The statue in the middle of Plaza de Mayo, the epicenter of Argentina history and politics, so named for this day, claims so. So where are all the parades? Where is the fanfare, the balloons, the fireworks, the flags, the children with sparklers wearing Argentine sky blue? I have seen no evidence of celebration from the people, or even recognition. No noisemakers in the streets, no grand displays of patriotism or pride, no hopeful address from the President, no cheerful greeting from the waitress.
On what would be a wonderful day to be outside (it is unseasonably warm and sunny) celebrating your country, the only thing I have noticed is that a few stores are closed. I suppose I’ve never been in another country during its independence day, but I’d imagine it to be a day of great importance everywhere. Some of my fondest childhood memories are sitting on a grassy hill on the 4th of July, eating watermelon under the stars and looking at not the fireworks themselves, but the glowing faces of everyone around me, knowing that at least in that moment, we’re all happy to be in America. I’m not even particularly “patriotic,” in the sense that word is used today, but that description alone makes me incredibly homesick.
With no evidence or experience of something like this in Argentina, I have to wonder if there is a uniting moment like that for the people. Did the country just choose that day because they needed one? It seems like more of an institutional holiday, but for institutions that have struggled and been through such tremendous change during their short lives. Perhaps the Argentine people are not proclaiming their independence today because the people have not been free for 199 years today would claim. The institutions calling today Independence Day are the very ones who not even 30 years ago imposed tyranny and terror on their people, taking away any sense of unification and identity they may have had. Freedom for the country? Perhaps this day is appropriate. Free for the people of the country? A day yet to be named and given parades.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0147s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1005.3kb