We play Football, not Futbol


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Blog Entry #1 (Soccer) for Class
As an American who has traveled abroad several times to various regions of the world, and as a person who (at least tries) to stay rather up to date with international events, it's not difficult to see that clearly, we are seen a little differently in the world. On that same thread, we see others in the world a little differently. We stand out- even as an American abroad, I have been able to find other Americans- whether this is a good thing or not, depends on whom you ask.
To many Americans, we are the best country in the world, meaning Americans are the best, brightest, smartest, fastest, richest people in the world- no questions asked. Others undoubtedly view this "confidence"in a more negative light: arrogance, rudeness, stubbornness, ignorance. To an extent, both are correct- Americans certainly are different; there is a certain quality which makes us stand out. What exactly that is, I cannot objectively say. We try to pinpoint it, warning Americans traveling abroad what and what not to do, how to look, what not to say:
"Don't be too loud!"
"Guard your bag! You, as an American, are more likely to be robbed."
"Your hair is too light. You'll be targeted
But, no matter what, we never fail to be discovered as the gringos, yankees, goys, or whatever we are in any given foreign country.
Maybe its our politics, economy, or just the way we're raised, but maybe there is something much simpler that stands out- we don't play the same sports as the rest of the world. Or, should I say, sport- soccer. We even have a different name for it. It seems like a light subject, a minor difference on the surface, but really, the rest of the world not only plays soccer, many people and entire countries accept it as a way of life.
Americans play (our) football, and some play basketball, or race (American) cars. We do not play soccer, let alone eat, breathe, and sleep soccer, and we certainly do not do so as a country. Our isolationist attitude is only discovered when abroad, or perhaps when speaking with people from other countries. When celebrating a Peruvian friend's birthday during the most recent World Cup, the 10 or so Americans in attendance just stood around helplessly as the host, joined by Colombians, Mexicans, Koreans, Chinese, and British discussed their triumphs and showered their heroes with praise.
As an international affairs major, it is easy to compare American's lack of participation in soccer with their general lack of knowledge in the international world. Ask the average German who the President of the United States of America is, and most would be able to answer a resounding "Barack Hussein Obama." Ask the average American who the leader of Germany is, and I would bet that most people would not answer Angela Merkel.
It's not that most Americans don't care about the rest of the world, it's just that we don't participate enough, and we don't have the incentive to care, or even know. Perhaps if America had more invested in an international sport, like soccer, more Americans would take notice of the world around them- perhaps learning that we are not in fact the center around which it revolves.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb