BLOG1: Identity, Soccer, Film


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Buenos Aires,

This is my 1st blog & I will discuss the history of Identity, Soccer, & Film in South America with a particular emphasis on Argentina. For starters, soccer is an integral part of South American life. Soccer arrived to South America in the mid 19th century & was introduced by the British. This fact is affirmed by the English names (as opposed to Spanish names) of various club teams such as: River Plate & Newell's Old Boys. In addition, as discovered in the UK, it was determined that soccer is a great way to prevent youngsters from causing mischief or wasting time & a good form of exercise. Consequently, and through the developing railroad network, Argentina & South America quickly adopted soccer & clubs began sprouting up all over the continent. It can be inferred that soccer is interwoven into the identity of South Americans; our class observed this connection with the sport at an Argentinian 2nd division match featuring Ferro. From the moment we arrived near the stadium, Ferro fans decorated in green & white were lining the streets, lighting fireworks, & chanting team slogans and words of encouragement for the home squad. We quickly realized that soccer was not only a male-dominant or sport exclusive to a particular gender, rather, soccer is a family event & bonding opportunity for the whole community. Local families arrive an hour or more in advance to socialize with neighbors & proclaim superiority of their home team. As the game commenced, the energy level grew exponentially & the stadium came to life; a particular section of the stadium contained a group of locals playing drums, trumpets, & other instruments thereby invigorating the fans & unifying them with team songs & chants. It was interesting to witness the somewhat "ugly" or "fierce" side of soccer fans; whenever the referee made a call against the home team & regardless of its validity, the locals would immediately & without hesitation scream "Punta! Punta! Punta!", I was especially surprised to witness a father yelling these repulsive terms around his young son. Nonetheless, this type of behavior illustrates the passion, significance, & an aspect of soccer's identity in South America.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb