Finally here!


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hola amigos y amigas

Quick update from us below:

Buenos dias de Buenos Aires. We have arrived safely and have spent the last couple of days taking in the sights and getting acclimatised to the environment. It was a bit disconcerting seeing most of the immigration employees wearing face masks on arrival. TJ told me that her fellow passengers were scrutinised for any sign of sneeze/runny nose!

First impression: this is a great city, it has an Old Europe feel to it, a bit like Madrid, and it´s huge! Everyone speaks some English (better than my Spanish), which is immensely helpful and gives time to my brain to remember the words in Spanish. Anyway, everyone we have met so far speaks better English than we speak Spanish...

We also arrived on el primero de mayo - el dia de trabajador, which is a public holiday in most places of the world, but not the UK. And we are staying right by the Plaza de Mayo and the Avenida de 9 Julio, which is where the demonstrators decided to congregrate. From the distance, it was a musical and noisy affair - we didn´t venture any closer (although we did get lost and had to walk around the area a few times!) as we thought best not to get arrested on our first day!

We walked around the shopping area, wow, I can see myself having to pay excess baggage when I finally leave here!

Yesterday, we decided to take a bus tour around the city. It sounded like a good idea at the time. However, we were listening to a recording and the bus was not moving at the speed required for the tape to make sense! So we have bits of information, saw some sights, but somehow, they are still to fit together!

The highlight of yesterday was La Boca - what a fantastic neighbourhood, very colourful, very noisy, with public tango shows and spontaneous music! We loved it and stayed there for a fair few hours.
We also want to the Puerta Madeira and had some delicious cakes. It has to be said that the Argentines love their sweets and they know how to make them!

Tomorrow, we head for El Calafate - so tara for now. Will upload some photos when the technology permits.

Hasta luego!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb