(Belated) Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
April 24th 2009
Published: April 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

BA Part 1



Apologies to our regular readers (!), but we´ve been having too much fun to write the blog. Today though, we´ve got to some time to relax and finally update it....

Buenos Aires or BA (as it shall be known) was/is simply amazing! We rented an apartment for the week in the rather swish area of Recoleta, just a stone´s throw from the famous cemetery, where Eva Peron (allegedly - it depends who you believe) resides. It´s just incredible how much time you can spend in a cemetery without getting bored. We went on the first day we arrived, enjoyed it so much, we went back for the guided tour later in the week!

Our guide was crazy, but fantastic, relating all the stories, or gossip as she preferred to call it, about the people that live and visit there. It´s incredible how much money people are prepared to pay to be buried there - the best plots can be in excess of US$1,000,000! If you fancy rotting in style, you need to plan in advance. Plots can take up to 40 years to be available. At least it gives you time to save....

The Easter weekend was pretty quiet by BA standards. After a couple of very quiet Sunday´s in Chile, we weren´t expecting much to be going on. Fortunately, BA is hectic even on the quiet days. We headed down to the famous antiques market in San Telmo, a barrio with a real Bohemian feel. It was very pretty and you could just sit or wander through the streets for hours soaking up the atmosphere. There were street performers on every corner, the tango was a particular favourite. Though I steered clear of any form of audience participation!

Used the time out to do some fairly mundane bits and bobs. Went shopping for dresses - still not exciting, even on the other side of the world! - used a washing machine (that´s the life!) and enjoyed our "Mendozan" purchases with a home-cooked meal...

Finshed the week, with a couple of day trips. Firstly to Colonia de Sacramento in Uruguay. It was a rough crossing across the Rio de la Plata, but well worth it. We wandered around the old town, before heading down the beach, where Stavi (bravely) took a swim - check out the pictures! It looks pretty filthy granted,
Ena SpitakiEna SpitakiEna Spitaki

Barrio San Telmo
but the locals assured us it was very clean!

The next day we took the train to Tigre on the Parana delta to the north of BA. Took the local river taxi out among the canals and waterways. What a life that looks...so pretty and picturesque. The local dogs took a bit of a shine to us, following us up and down the pathways, occasionally jumping in to cool off.

Next stop is Patagonia and maybe a chance to use all those warm clothes we´ve been carrying!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

BA BookshopBA Bookshop
BA Bookshop

You can even have coffee where the stage used to be!
ColoniaColonia
Colonia

On the beach!
ColoniaColonia
Colonia

To swim or not to swim!
Parana DeltaParana Delta
Parana Delta

Boat Docking - better than a slaughterhouse!


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb