End of Parents Visit


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
March 21st 2009
Published: March 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

It was a lovely trip having my parents here, though it is definitely strange now that they have left. I've gotten used to them being so close and being able to visit it, but I feel like they were able to see a good part of Argentina. Thursday was spent at Recoleta cemetery, which is a beautiful cemetery, but very full. The grave sites are like skinny churches slammed in together. The pictures describe these better so I'll let them do the talking. It is definitely a tourist attraction but draws plenty of porteƱos. At Evita's grave, the locals were touching it and crossing themselves. Also it is overrun with cats, but they were all just sleeping. The rest of Thursday, Friday and Saturday were spent doing a lot of shopping. Strangely I don't think Dad bought anything, though I did buy two shirts. I'm sure you can email my mom and hear all about what she bought. Often it would be me and my mom in a store, with me translating and my dad standing outside, getting asked for directions.
Friday we took the subte out to plaza italia and the zoo and parque 3 de Febrero. The zoo was interesting, because it allowed the visitors to feed the animals. Because of this the animals would come right up to you and usually open their mouths. Those in cages had chutes that the food could be rolled down. The craziest part of it though were all the animals roaming around outside of cages. You'll see pictures, but it was crazy. The parque 3 de Febrero was lovely, and full of rose gardens. They do have guards though who whistle if you touch the grass. We didn't tempt them by trying to touch any of the flowers, but we did get whistled at for standing in some dirt.
For dinner the last two nights we went back to cuartito and to a parilla our on puerto madero. Both were lovely. But I'm going to quit writing and put pictures up. Enjoy them, and make sure and ask my parents about it, I'm sure they had a different experience then I did.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

StatueStatue
Statue

Many of the graves have statues inside or pictures. It was difficult to get a picture, but there were often stairs heading down underneath.
GrassGrass
Grass

Many of the graves are overgrown with plants.
GraveGrave
Grave

Gives you an idea of how large some of them are.
Zoo statueZoo statue
Zoo statue

Note the large scorpion, giraffe with wings, and elephant wearing a hat.
Rat like creatures.Rat like creatures.
Rat like creatures.

These inhabit many of the exhibits trying to get food. They also wander freely through out the park.
Mara de PatagoniaMara de Patagonia
Mara de Patagonia

These were everywhere and would come to beg for food.
ElephantElephant
Elephant

It was getting pretty mad, because the girl was a terrible shot.
Cappybarras Cappybarras
Cappybarras

140 pound rodents with hooves...very weird.
HippoHippo
Hippo

We kept waiting for it to eat the goose.
Mom at the rose gardenMom at the rose garden
Mom at the rose garden

in parque 3 de febrero.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb