Back To Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived back in El Calafate, and back to our hostel, strange to be back after a week in El Chalten.
The next day we had a few hours to kill before making our way back up to Buenos Aires, 4 hours to Rio Gallegos, a couple of hour wait there before a 36 hour bus to Buenos Aires.
Time passed, saw some stunning scenery passing by. We had a massive 4 breaks, each of 5 minutes, really just anough time to have a smoke, toilet visit or buy fresh supplies. We had an interesting selection of films, mostly bad.... but there was at least some comedy value.
We arrived back in Bs As around 9am, taxi straight over to our hostel, Tango themed decor, its seemed alright, just a little too much crammed into the small space available. We decided to treat ourselves to breakfast in Plaza Dorrego, lovely spot to people watch over a couple of medio lunes and a coffee. Got back to the hostel and our room was ready to check in. Was a bit surprised as we walked out of the hostel and over the road. Turned out our room was in the annex, and it was so much nicer than the main building!! Quiet, airy, spacious, with a lovely balcony - perfect!
Our first afternoon we walked around the docklands and then into the center, but took it fairly easy as we were both still tired from the travels.
Day 2: We took a taxi to La Boca, a colourful and famous area of Bs As. Both Simon and I we not too impressed, the place has a theme park feel to it, the 3-4 main streets rammed full of camera weilding tour-busers, snapping at posing tangoistas and brightly painted houses. We stayed about an hour, tick. Next we got back to the hostel and rented bikes for the afternoon, they were pretty basic, no gears and mine had back pedal braking!! Haven't seen that since living in Sweden!! Went down to the nature reserve and spent a very pleasant couple of hours cycling around, stopping at the banks of Rio de la Plata, impressive - you cant even see the far bank - thats a big river..... We finished the afternoon off back shopping on Florida, was very pleased of my discreet choice of the large yellow plastic handbag - weeee fun 😊
Next day after spending a few hours on the internet we made our way over to Palermo, a more upmarket area of Bs As, full of wide tree lined streets and many many boutiques. Stopped for a refreshing glass in a bar overlooking a square. Limon, ginger and sugar, Simon took lemon, mint and orange blossom, bot mixed with crushed ice - fabulous. We spent a couple of hours looking at the shops, normally these trendy boutiques would be strictly window shopping only, but as we quickly realised, the prices were not out of range, especially as it was the sales!! We recovered from our afternoon shopping with a drink people watching in a plaza.
The following day was spent back in Palermo, stopping at Bs As legendary pizza restaurant. We spent a lovely couple of hours walking around the Palermo parks, and rounded the day off back on Plaza Palermo Veijo snipping drinks and people watching.
Saturday was our last full day in Buenos Aires, so spent some time sorting bits and pieces out, and a last shopping. The evening we went for a great meal and then went to see a tango show alter. It was a great venue, very small and typically decorated. The show’s music was provided by a trio on accordion, piano and violin, 2 singers and 2 couples dancing, fabulous to watch!
Sunday was spent around the hostel and San Telmo, revisited the antiques market, and spent a few hours chatting to folks in the hostel. Soon it was time to grab the bags and a taxi and head off for another over night destination, this time Puerto Iguazu.




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb