Buenos Aires, more steak and tango!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
November 10th 2008
Published: February 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bingo winner!Bingo winner!Bingo winner!

George with his winning card and prize for winning the bingo on board our 22hr bus ride.
Return to Argentina, BA- by Kate

After our 5hr flight back from Easter Island to Santiago we gratefully made our way back to the same hostel we had stayed in before and were greated like old friends. Next day we boarded our 22hr bus ride destined for Buenos Aires, Argentina. Considering the length of the journey it was very pleasant. We were treated to long straight roads, safe driving, food and films, all very civilised. George managed to win the Bingo (in Spanish might I add) and his prize was a bottle of Malbec, you have got to love Argentina, can't imagine that on a National Express bus to Scotland!
There was a tremendous thunder storm through the night but in our semi-cama seats we still managed to get some sleep.

On arriving in BA, we caught the efficient subway to our hostel in the San Telmo district, historically known as the birthplace of tango and full of cobbled streets and colonial buildings, I knew I was going to like it here. On our first day we explored the area we were staying in, along with Puerto Maldino the re-developed dock yard area complete with loft apartments and smart
TangoTangoTango

San Telmo, the birthplace of tango.
restaurants, a bit of a combination of the South Bank and Docklands in London. The next day we met up with Lyn and Wouter who we had first met on our flight over the Nazca lines and also bumped into in La Paz and Patagonia. After an excellent Parilla (mixed grill) lunch together, we whiled away the afternoon, Argentine style in a square, watching tango and sipping some delicious wine.

After our lazy start we decided we needed to experience some of the culture of BA. We visited the obelisk in the middle of the widest road in the world (terrifying to cross), and then tried to do a tour of the opera house which was sadly closed for refurbishment. In the afternoon we stopped by the Cathedral and revolution museum which was all in Spanish and not very inspirational.

At 3.30pm in the Plaza de Mayo we witnessed the spectacle of the mothers of the lost generation who disappeared under the regime during the 70's. Every Thursday the mothers and familes of the missing children process around the monument in rememberance and protest, trying to encourage the government to launch an official investigation, it was very powerfull.
Us with Lyn and WouterUs with Lyn and WouterUs with Lyn and Wouter

Enjoying the Argentine way of life!
After our cultural day we topped it off with a visit to the cinema to see James Bond, Quantum of Solice. We were particularly interested in the parts supposed to be set in Bolivia, we never saw any roads with tarmac and markings might I add!

New day and a new part of the city to discover, this time, Palermo full of glamorous boutiques and wealthy Portenos shopping and lunching. Before that though, we hired bikes and cycled round the amazing wetland park, formed on reclaimed land the park is full of wildlife and incredible birds, sorry Anne and Brian, we didn't know what they were though!
Another evening spent watching tango in the square and drinking wine and then early to bed before our last day in the city.

We actually chose to head out if town to a small area known as Tigre about an hour by train. Set next to the side of a river, this is where the wealthy head for a relaxing weekend in the country. We did a catamaran trip on some of the waterways to see the lovely riverside residences, similar to those you might find along the Thames in Kingston
The obeliskThe obeliskThe obelisk

In the middle of the widest road in the world!
or Richmond. After our boat trip we strolled along the riverside past several rowing club buildings and watched people practising their rowing on the river, how very European! After a brief trip around the artesan market we headed back into BA for our final Argentine steak.

Next stop, Rio, how will it ever be able to live up to Argentina?


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Plaza de MayoPlaza de Mayo
Plaza de Mayo

The mothers of the lost generation.
BoathouseBoathouse
Boathouse

One of the beautiful boathouses along the river, could be Cambridge?
Last steak!Last steak!
Last steak!

Saying goodbye to Argentina with one last steak.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb