Thurs: Centro


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We slept for a really long time last night. We tried to stay up late, to keep up with the Porteno population - restaurants don't even open until 8-8:30pm, nobody really eats dinner until after 10, bars don't open until midnight, and clubs are hopping from 2am-dawn. Our first night in town, we made it until about 2am, which sounds impressive, but really it was only 10pm San Francisco time, and we spent the after-dinner hours at home, with Becky finishing a book and Chris checking in on the Mets.

Anyway, we didn't get up until almost noon today. Much needed. We stopped at an awesome cafe a half-block away for some pastries and cafe con leche before catching the subte (subway) to the city center. We wandered around La Plaza de Mayo, where the Casa Rosada (Pink House), or the Presidential Palace, is located. While there we walked through the Museo de Casa Rosada, where we caught up on the history of the Argentinian presidents, as well as some interesting presidential artifacts, such as a doll that Evita Peron handed out to poor children.

Also we got to witness The March of the Mothers, where a hundred or so women march around la Plaza to protest the government and the war that took away their sons. They have been doing this every Thursday afternoon for over 30 years. We also walked a mile or so to the Congresso, where the houses of congress do business. We both enjoyed the architecture along the walk, which was filled with old hotel buildings and cathedrals.

Tonight, we plan on hitting up an authentic old Parrilla for some grass-fed beef. Should be tasty! We'll check back tomorrow sometime. Buenos noches.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

CongressoCongresso
Congresso

This is modeled after the US Congress building, with a dome in the center separating the two houses of legislature.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb