Parrilla, Pedicure and Tango time


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
January 13th 2008
Published: January 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived here in Buenos Aires for five nights in an apartment in Barrio Norte. I think the esate agents would call it Recolata border. Close to the Subte (two minutes) and a 20 minute or so walk from Recoleta cemetery and less than 30mins from real downtown. Nice to have our own space complete with living room and the opportunity to cook in. Which we actually did twice.

First thing was to tramp the streets between the various Nikon Service Centers. None of which had a charger to fit, the guy in the second Center had the nerve to tell me that as my camera was a model from 2003 I should not expect to be able to get parts.....luckily or unluckily my Castellano was not yet good enough to tell him what I thought of that advice. I will save my ire for Nikon UK if they tell me the same in April. However the guy at the last Center was able, when pressed, to redirect me to one of those shops that sells all sorts of odd gadgets and they were able to sell me something that charges the battery. Hurrah.

On the way back to the apartment I walked past the Teatro Colon where the refurbishment is sadly still a work in progress, at least another excuse for a further trip to BA in a year or two. I think the contractors are related to those who did Wembley stadium....

Across the road from the apartment was a really good and friendly greengrocers, lots of nice looking fruit and veg. Good to catch up on the five a day routine.

New things that we did this time included going to the Museo de Bellas Artes for an afternoon. Some good stuff,some not so. We also went to the Eva Peron Museum in Palermo. Really nicely done museum complete with lots of photos, newsreels, some of her clothes etc. The museum is in one of the houses she set up for disadvantaged children. We learned a fair bit more about her and Argentine politics of the 1940s and early 1950s. Not sure if I am a fan or not.

The other new thing was going for a proper pedicure - decided that after around ten weeks of pounding the streets of Argentina all four of our feet deserved a treat. Had a fascinating discussion with my guy, whilst he sanded my feet, about Argentina´s relationship with Hugo Chavez and the fact, new to me, that Argentina has some sort of nuclear industry exporting heavy water.

Friday night we had the biggest piece of Asado de Tira at a local Parilla - and that was a half portion. Of course we had had the obligatory trip to the cinema on Wednesday night, saw American Gangster. Great. Followed by a late night paella at the restaurant on the corner of our street.

On one of our wanderings we also saw a poster for the Tango a Tierra show at the Borges Cultural Centre on Saturday night. We had thought of going to one of the big shows at around 200AP each including dinner but instead went for this one at 35AP. Really good and we thought we recognised one of the dancers from Tango Fire at Sadlers Wells last September. Followed that with a Thai meal. Suspect it might be the only one of the whole trip and it was good and spicy!

We had also tramped down to San Telmo on Saturday to Walrus books to check out what was available. Had not realised it was a 100% English language book selection rather than the one or two well worn Tom Clancy or Dan Brown that we saw in other shops. Thanks for the recommendation Henry! Swopped three of our books and picked up four new to us.

All too soon it was Sunday lunchtime and we headed back to Retiro to catch the bus to Tandil.

ps no BA photos as we took lots back in 2005/06!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb