Stop! Machu Picchu Time, Oh ohhh


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

dear amigos, it has been some time since i last wrote, so long that i have forgotten some really awesome things that has happened since then, that i will now attempt to remember. you see, the whirlwind tour through peru was fast-paced and action-packed. sites included the poor man´s galapogos (paracas reserve, where there are many birds and seals and things playing in the water), a trip to giant sand dunes near ica where we took off in a dune buggey giving an effect similar to the best roller coasters i have ever been on, the famous lines of nazca (carved figures like monkeys, humming birds, hands, etc only visible from air), a 3 day hike in colca canyon where the largest birds on earth (condors) frequent, and finally, the jewel of the trip, machu picchu. we hit one site after another on a pace, (i did not think it was repeatable), comprable to that of gabe´s and my burning of europe.

the 4 day hike to machu picchu was very rewarding. i am surprised we made it considering the challenges: high altitude, rigourous walks including four hours up on one day to an altitude of 4200 meters, other days up to 8 hours walking, rain almost all of day 3, cold weather at night, risk of illness from the cold wet weather or poorly cooked camp cuisine, etc. it was hard to beleive when we actually were there in person, and with no problems at all (except some wet clothes and backpacks). we were also very lucky that we arrived on the most beautiful day of the hike... one day earlier and it would have been pretty crappy.

so in conclusion, cross another one off my list of objectives. as for any other very important objectives that i set off to complete four months ago that i still have not completed, well i will just take this opoortunity to revist objective 10 which states i can remove/modify objectives at will, and will either remove them, or put them on hold for now. to come back by car to the u.s. would take many more months than i have to properly meander aimlessly and see the many sites along the way (i dont want to just fly by such beautiful places as the galapagos, the jungles of columbia, aztec ruins, etc., which according to my current time frame would be the only option). so starting friday, may 4, i am back in the u.s.a.- the burning of rest of latin america will come later.

if there is one concise, apt concluding remark, let it be this: it is sad to have this epic journey come to an end, but i must say, i look forward to eating again in some place where i no longer have to worry about whose poopy hands touched my lettuce last- god bless the u.s.of a, and our leader, george w. i love you! peace, hasta the next episode.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb