easter hols in tango land


Advertisement
Published: April 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

this is v.out of date but anyway, i´ll do a little spheil on the week i spent in tango land...

paid about 50quid to get there and back and the MOST luxurious bus you´ve ever seen, they even served "champagne", tasted a bit like wee but it was the thought that counted, not exactly my kind of travelling but it had been a sweaty few days in paraguay and it was nice to get away. before i left i had to move house again because of the abusive drunk (guess you all know the story by now) anyway, i moved out and had nowhere to go so that was a bit of a nightmare and i´d just about had ENOUGH! so checked in to our v.authentic hostel in the tango district of san telmo in central buenos aires and went off exploring. BA is really not very south american at all (compared to what i´ve seen of s.a. so far), all architecture is v.european, the people look v.european, there´s a big cafe culture and we even found a zara!!i got rather over-excited and bought myself a little black dress as i dont actually have any nice clothes with me and so far it´s come in v.handy! and its incredibly cheap out there, you could almost be in madrid or paris and paying next to nothing for yummy steak and good clothes and accomodation and nightlife so a bit of a bargain week!

went to a tango lesson one night, got spun around the dancefloor (hardly, i was rubbish) whilst being blindfolded so you never quite knew who was grabbing you, all a bit tooooo touchy feely for my liking i think! then went to a really traditional tango evening thingy watched all the oldies burning up the dancefloor which was really sweet and the world champs were there to so that was quite impressive. visited the really rough bit of b.a. as well (well its not rough at all but they think it is), its the really famous bit that´s on all the postcrads (all the ickle streets with little tin huts all painted really bright colours which was cool) and went to the la boca stadium, they´re all footie crazy, literally nearly all the neighbourhood is painted yellow and blue, the colours of the "la boca" team. not a lot of touristy things to see in b.a. more stuff to do and we did a lot of wandering. i did a bit of shopping, you cant find much "stuff" in paraguay and anything vaguely nice is imported and dead expenisve so got myself some trainers as i´ve got back into my running again and am speeding around the potholey roads of my little town every morning!

had a really good night out, actually as it didnt start til 3 and went on til 8 i think it was more of a morning out, nowhere even opens til 2 and we got there early! such tourists! ate some good food, but then again ate some really rough food...tested out the famous argentine "parilla" which is kind of like a mixed grill thingy...but contains pig intestines which tasted, frankly like they were still full of poo and had a v.cheap and dodgy chinese which i think had tripe in it...even pops might have turned her nose up. so all in all, a good time was has, perfect kind of place to go to to escape paraguay as b.a. was a complete contrast to the little town im living in. felt like i´d had my dose of western culture which i need from time to time, barely have time for it in paraguay at the moment!

got back to paraguay and moved on to family number three....

ps hope you got ur postcards, they are so expenisive to send so dont get greedy and expect any more for a while!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb