Arriving In Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
March 22nd 2018
Published: March 23rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

After another early start we were picked up and driven to the airport arriving ages in advance so we had plenty of time. We checked our bags in and then went through to try and find something to eat for breakfast. There was a choice of KFC, McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts. Dunkin donuts won out as we don't have that option near home so we settled down with a cappuccino and egg and cheese muffin each with an obligatory donut. The airport was pretty busy already even though it was only 7am. We were down to our last 18 Peruvian Soles so went on the hunt to try and spend them before leaving the country and picked up a gift for one of the cat sitters back home! We headed through security as normal and found our gate for our flight and set up camp half dozing and just waiting for our time to board. When it was time we queued up to board and Steph had her usual rant about the priority queue. The priority queue has always been for people with kids, wheelchairs, disabilities etc and there is a picture of a person to depict an elderly person. However for the last few flights anyone over the age of about 50 suddenly seems to decide they are elderly and need to get priority boarding. Steph spots this and starts a rant to me every time but it's pretty funny, I wish I'd caught it on camera!

Fast forward onto the plane and we end up sitting amongst the Chilean National Judo team. Turns out there is a national South American Tour going on with a number of countries involved. We later meet the only Team GB athlete in the passport control queue at Buenos Aries. He's been travelling on his own for two weeks around Chile, Brazil, Peru and was now competing in Buenos Aires on Saturday and Sunday. Once boarded we then had to wait on the Tarmac for almost an hour in a long queue of planes waiting to take off so by the time we landed we were almost an hour late. Steph's brother Tom had kindly booked us a taxi pickup who was waiting for us when we got through customs. We were told on the plane just as we were landing that everyone had to fill in a declaration landing card in but they had given them out to everyone on the plane when we were asleep so we hadn't got one. Luckily we found a pile by the entrance to customs and filled in the form. There were questions on the form about detailing any goods you had worth over $300 and saying you had to pay a tax on them. I had a Go Pro, Camera and IPad and so did Steph. We didn't know at the time but it turns out it's just the Nationals they are interested in for this. However we were pointed to have all our luggage scanned and thought we were about to get 'charged' and 'fined'. Steph went through with her stuff fine but when mine went through they started speaking in Spanish to me so I had to use my usual No Espanol phrase and hope they could speak English. They asked where I was from and when they found out the United Kingdom they were fine and waved me through. Finally through and after finding the taxi we were loaded up and on our way to meet Tom and his wife Naty. The taxi ride seemed to take forever as we had hit rush hour and whichever side road he turned down to try and avoid the traffic he just hit more so it was 7pm by the time we arrived at their apartment.

After hugs and hellos we dumped our bags and went out to a restaurant for dinner. It was a traditional Argentinian BBQ grill type place. I was pleased we could try it as we had being staying away from those places because we didn't know if there was anything veggie for Steph but because Tom and Naty were regulars there they knew there was some pasta dishes. We had dinner there and Steph had spaghetti in four cheese sauce where as I had Rib Eye Steak, chips and a beer for the first time in a long time! The food was gorgeous and the others all laughed and joked about me with the steak and took some photos. After dinner we headed back, chatted and caught up then went to sleep to try and get some much needed rest!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb