Our First Day at Sea


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
October 30th 2017
Published: September 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Getting that extra hour of sleep didn't help at all. Apparently, I found the instructions for setting our clock back one hour proved too difficult for me as I set the alarm one hour ahead, waking us both up at 6:30am instead of 8:30. Now one might say, "Hey, that's seven hours. How much sleep do you guys need?". Our problem last night was that the ship was rolling and pitching pretty good. Returning from dinner, people were walking about like drunken sailors. That’s OK for them. They were drunk. We weren't but we still utilized the railings provided throughout the corridors, two steps forward and one sideways. This rocking motion continued through the night, making creaking sounds within the walls and creating the need for the placement of a waste can next to Karen's side of the bed, just for insurance. She gets sick on the first night out of San Francisco each time we sail and we've heard that it's a common occurrence in the area just outside the Golden Gate. All of this commotion subsided some during the early morning hours and we awoke to calm seas and a desire to check out the breakfast fare.

Unable to return to sleep, we give it up about 7:30 and while Mom pitters and putters about the cabin, I download my cameras of our first day's photos for the blog taken yesterday. Up to the Lido we go for breakfast. The layout is new to us, not having been on this particular ship for over 3 years. Mom catches on quick, gathering up fruit, toast and yogurt while I hustle up some cereal, fried egg, toast and prunes. Yep. At my age, them prunes really help keep things moving. After coffee, I drag Karen down to a GoPro seminar in the Explorer's Lounge where a "sales professional" points out features of the new GoPro 5. Amazingly enough, they're available on the ship if you purchase now. Wow, what a lucky break! Interesting. I'll have to think about it. Next we travel to the Piazza Atrium to view the jewelry sale. This is where Karen and I part ways, me to the Crooner's Lounge to write some blog material why Karen checks out the stores. It's 3 more hours to Happy Hour. Purchasing a drink at full price would be too painful. I must hold out until then!

Karen checks in with me, stays for a bit and then returns to the shops. She has her own ship credit $s to spend and she doesn't want them to expire. Later, we will take advantage of the Wheelhouse Happy Hour at 3pm followed by the Captain's Circle Invitational in the Princess Theater at 4:30.

Up to the Lido we go for some fresh fruit, soup and coffee. After that we're off to the Wheelhouse Bar for Happy Hour. "Two Tequila Sunrises, please." The bill, $9.20. Now we go to the Captain's get-together, minus the Captain. They say he's busy. OK. The presentation is all about how great the Princess Cruise Lines is but we do get some free drink tickets. I think it's time to return to our room for a break before dinner. We're tired after such a tough day but we hang in there. I make a few more entries into today's blog and watch a TV special on Hawaii while Karen sleeps until dinner. Cleaned up and dressed, we return to Deck 5 and the Michaelangelo Dining Room. We don't actually get into the dining room since there's a long line at the door so we wait. The line moves slowly and it takes a good 30 minutes before we make it in. Our friends from England that we met at dinner last night are just ahead of us and we acknowledge them, in a cool way of course. Just the eyes. I use just the eyes but the message is sent and recieved.

Again we are seated at a table for 6, joining a couple from Orlando and a younger couple, she works at a gym and he's a cloud IT guy. Yes, like Boomer. We had a nice experience, enjoying mahi mahi, Hawaiian shrimp and Cherries Jubilee, all while Mom told her usual stories; the plane door flew open while we're in flight, the Romanian stole her purse in Zurich and traveling to the Christmas markets. You had to be there. Our guests commented that they never had so much fun at dinner. Great job, Karen. Now let's go.

We stop by the Piazza, the rotunda just outside the dining room, to listen to a few songs by Hawaiian musician Brian playing the ukulele and Rowena dancing the hula. He's very good and we especially enjoyed "Somewhere over the Rainbow". Our next stop is the Princess Theater where comedian Steve Caouette does his routine. Not bad but it's almost 11, I need to finish today's blog and we have a "Meet & Greet" tomorrow at 10am for Cruise Critic. Hey, it's a tough schedule but we manage. Did I mention we have to work in breakfast too? Amazing!

Here's something else that's amazing. Our room steward, Miguel, made Karen a bucket to put outside our door for trick or treat candies that we brought with us. Over my protests, she filled it with all my favorites. I explained that someone like me will come by tonight and take it all and for her to put in just a few candies now and then. Nope. She fills the bucket. Well, 20 minutes later she makes a check and her whole bucket is empty. It's almost midnight and no one is in the hallways. No kids on this ship. Some old geezer ripped us off! You see, crime is everywhere.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb