Panama Canal 2015 27 Feb. Day 8


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
February 27th 2015
Published: March 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Full day at sea as we sail up the western coast of Central America. In the next few days we will stop at ports of call in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Mexico. In keeping with its name, the Pacific Ocean is extremely calm. The sea is not exactly like glass, but there are no discernible waves, and our ship glides forward with no rocking or heeling.

Our morning is taken up by laundry, a necessary evil. Of course, everyone on board has realized today that we are now halfway through the trip and that this is our last sea day for a while, so the laundry facilities are an exercise in international cooperation. War does not break out but there are some skirmishes.

We have a very nice lunch hosted by the captain. Our table mates are a delightful Dutch couple from Amsterdam, who are visiting the Americas for the first time. However, they have travelled extensively elsewhere in the world. Their favourite spot for a winter getaway is Dubai! They claim that there are reasonably priced accommodations available there, though I thought it was for rich people only. We also talk about the special bond between Holland and Ottawa, with which both we and they are familiar.

Presentations in the afternoon on our upcoming ports of call. Personally, I'm looking forward to getting off the boat. I'm excited, too, that an excursion to Mayan ruins in Guatemala has been added. I am so there!

We have supper in the upscale restaurant on board, the Pinnacle. It's quite simply fabulous. The Pinnacle has its own kitchen and chef (I asked). Food and service is impeccable. Very enjoyable.

Entertainment tonight is the the six singers (four men, two women) plus dancers (two ladies) plus the usual backup band in a show emulating a Las Vegas-style lounge. Good entertainment.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 999.4kb