Pitcairn Island


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
August 15th 2014
Published: August 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Boat ShedBoat ShedBoat Shed

This is where the islanders stow their boats and keep all the required materials for maintenance etc.
At around 10:00 a.m. we arrived at Pitcairn Island. The local vendors came on board and we then set sail for a sail around the island. The Pitcairn Islands group is a British overseas territory. It comprises the islands of Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno. Pitcairn the only inhabited island is a small volcanic outcrop situated in the South Pacific. It is roughly 2170 Km’s south east of Tahiti and just over 6600 Km’s from Panama. The islands administrative headquarters are situated in Auckland 5310 Km’s away.

The sight of the vendors approaching the ship was very unusual in their wooden longboats, as the island only has a population of 50 people I reckon 49 of them must have been on the boat.

The prices of their souvenirs were not cheap however I just had to buy a T-shirt.

On completion of our disembarking the vendors we then set sail for our next destination Papeete, Tahiti.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Here they comeHere they come
Here they come

The islands population arriving to sell all there handicrafts.
HousingHousing
Housing

Some of the houses on the island.
Pitcairn IslandPitcairn Island
Pitcairn Island

View of some of the islands rugged layout.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1006.8kb