Sunrise with Whales, March 24, 2011


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
March 24th 2011
Published: April 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Whales!


Location: 29 24.12N
115 13 70W

Motoring at 8.1 knots
Winds: 4.0 Knots True

After a great sail yesterday, the wind decided to depart at sunset and we have been motoring since. Hopefully they will pick up later today. I think it takes everyone a few days to wind down.. whether it is on vacation, or a break from their normal hectic schedule. I know it was like a breath of fresh air to have no cell phone, no internet, no way to deal with paperwork or see news. There is no traffic, no shopping, no sounds of traffic, sirens, fighter jets or other air traffic (San Diego is Very noisy). It has felt good. But it wasn't until three peach whale blows lit in the sunrise this morning, like sheer drapery floating over the silver sea between me and the jutting mesas of Baja, did I feel it. That feeling of weight lifting, of cobwebs being dusted away and the deep love of wild places boiling up inside me. I see it on the faces of the crew. That look in their eyes that transmits a deep sigh. A content sigh.

Humpbacks dive, Grey whales blow and sea lions raise their flippers in the morning light, warming them in the sun like a neighbor waving as we pass... good morning! I know I used to be "used" to the "stuff"... the phones and internet and lists, and shopping and news and crowds and activities and and and and.... and now I'm not. 😊 Simple as that. We are not. So when confronted with all of these "temptations" we went crazy. Like kids allowed to grab as much Halloween candy as they can... we grabbed.. we called and wrote and text-ed and face-booked and shopped and ate and drank and danced and watched the news and read the papers and we didn't stop. Sure, I think I was more controlled in the past, but it used to feel normal to me. It didn't. It doesn't. It hasn't for a long time. I know I would like to live on land again as a home base, but I am afraid to. I don't know if I will be as happy. As happy as a morning with peach whale blows and dolphin escorts... Deep starry nights punctuated with meteors and glowing jellies bumping against the boat. This has been our day. We are thankful and I know and hope that we will be able to one day find that balance where we could venture on land comfortably (and with self control) while being sure to take ourselves into wild spaces as often as possible. I know my other sail/travel friends understand completely. I also know that in one more day, this feeling will be even stronger... day three is always a turning point for me, when my mind is in a different place...

But for now, I am just going to enjoy these sunrise moments highlighted by whale blows and warm sea lions... we all are.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb