About Samoa


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
September 13th 2020
Published: September 13th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Destination

Samoa is one of the small Islands located in the South Pacific Ocean and is about 4000 kilometers away from Hawaii. Samoa is basically in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and is surrounded by different islands like Fiji, Tonga, and New Zealand. Although its small but you can do more than just visiting. Samoa consist of two main islands, which is Upolu and Savaii. The main city which is Apia is located in the Island of Upolu. The Upolu Island is where all the cities and big companies are located whereas in Savaii it is where all the natural and beautiful beaches and waterfalls are located. The Samoans are known as the Happy people of the pacific. One of the famous author/poets named Robert Louis Stevenson came to Samoa in around the 1800’s and fell in love with people and its culture and called it the Happy people of Polynesia.

History:

The Samoan Islands was discovered around three thousand years ago by the Lapita ancestors or Austronesian people. They developed the Samoan language as well as the culture and tradition which people nowadays still value it and respect it. In 1722 the first European that set foot in the Island was Jacob Roggeveen a Dutch explorer from Netherlands. In 1830, Reverend John Williams from England came to Savaii and preach the gospel and from then on, the whole of Samoa became Christians.

Samoa was colonized by several European countries like Germany, Great Britain, United States, and New Zealand. After the civil war in 1899, the United States decided that they will take over the other island of Samoa name Tutuila which is now known as American Samoa while Germany took over Upolu and Savaii and called it western Samoa. After the first world war, New Zealand decided that they will take away western Samoa from the Germans and they will rule it. In 1908, Samoans started their Mau movement where they protest and fight for their freedom. After years of suffering, Samoa finally gain their independence in 1962 and now Samoa became the first independent state in the Pacific.

Weather:

Since Samoa is located close to the equator the climate is mostly hot and humid. Samoa only have 2 season which is the wet season and dry season. The wet season is generally from November to April whereas the dry season is from June to October. Most people like to visit Samoa during the dry season because that is the perfect time for them to go to the beach, visit sightseeing places and also it is the time where Samoa held special events like Teuila festival, Independence Day and more. During the wet season, mostly towards the end and the beginning of the year, there will be less tourist arriving to the Island because that is the time where major cyclones occur.

Tourism:

Samoa is one of the best Island in the Pacific with more tourist attractions and best sightseeing places. Tourism in Samoa is a major income earner for not only the tourism industry like the hotels but also the local people that sells goods and service to the tourist. There are 3 different kind of tourists that visit Samoa. The Eco tourist, Business tourist and Adventure Tourist. The Adventure tourist are mostly seen around the Island. They tend to visit not only the beaches and the waterfall, but they love to visit the villages and learn the culture from the Samoan people. They often like to take the local bus and eat local food. Most of the tourists that visit Samoa are from China, Korea, America, New Zealand, and Australia. When they travel to Samoa, they mostly look for sightseeing places and trying out the traditional food. They love the beach and not only that they love exploring around the town area and buy souvenirs. Most of the tourist stayed in Samoa for about 2 to 3 weeks. When they visit Samoa, they are required to use Samoan currency. Some tourist visit Samoa about 2 to 3 times whenever they go on a vacation because they love the Samoan hospitality and not only that, people are friendly and would welcome anyone with open arms and this is why Samoa is consider as another beautiful Island to visit in the Pacific.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb