Beautiful Seychelles


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Indian
April 2nd 2011
Published: April 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saturday April2nd, 2011

Indian Ocean- North of Madagascar

Latitude 8 degrees 55 minutes’ south- Longitude 51 degrees 4 minutes’ east

Yesterday at 7am we were the first ones off the ship in Victoria the capital of the Seychelles Islands. It is advertised as the smallest capital city in the world. With only 22 thousand inhabitants it was not overly crowded, but I think everyone with a car was in town. We walked into downtown and found the Tourist Information Office. We told the nice girl working there that we wanted to rent a car. She called someone and he said he had one car left. We agreed to a price of 54 Euros for the day and he brought the car to us. The car looked great and we were soon on our way. Once out of the downtown there was practically no traffic. There are 115 islands in this country and the main one where we were is called Mahe’. I was surprised by how mountainous the island is and everything was completely covered by lush vegetation. In my mind I had expected the Seychelles to be more like the Bahamas, flatter and much drier. In reality the main “inner” islands are made of granite and are geologically the oldest islands in the world. They are surrounded by the “outer” islands and these are the low, flat coralline islands that I had expected. As we drove up and over the central ridgeline we were greeted by gorgeous views and beautiful white sand beaches on the western side. In the next six hours we crisscrossed the island several times. We saw North Point and everything down to Pointe du Sud (South Point). The people were friendly and seemed to speak good English. They learn three languages in school- Creole, English and French. Both the English and the French have maintained control over the islands through the years, but they have been independent since the 70’s. We did see some soldiers doing maneuvers in a couple of places and there were several Navy ships in the main harbor. There was talk of political unrest among some of the passengers, but the people we talked to seemed to think that everything was fine. We did hear that tourism has been off because of the pirate activity in the region. There are lots of hotels and condo developments on the island and for the most part they all seemed to be doing okay. We loved the lack of crowds and how clean everything was. The beaches were pristine and there we no abandoned cars or trash along the roads. It is too bad it is so far away from the US. The main tourist groups were all from Europe and a couple of the Sheiks form the United Arab Emirates have big mansions there. The cruising looked great with calm seas, a good breeze and great anchorages. Charter Company “The Moorings” has a base there and we saw one of their Catamarans sailing offshore. Late in the afternoon we did have a sort of harrowing experience when we were driving down a dead end road going toward Cap Matoopa. The road kept getting narrower and there was no good place to turn around. Of course, someone came from the opposite direction and we just sat there looking at each other. I backed up some and did manage to get over far enough that they squeezed past. We continued on and finally found a place to turn around. On the way back we saw no one and found a great little private beach where a freshwater stream was flowing out into the ocean. I don’t think many tourists venture into that part of the island. We had made an appointment to return the car in an area that was close to where the ship was docked. We made it back with a little time to spare. Unfortunately, Nigel the rental company owner was late and by the time we got to back to the ship they were pulling up the ramp. We really maximized our time ashore in the Seychelles, first one off- last one back onboard!




Advertisement



3rd April 2011

Losing weight?
How is the weight loss going??? I think this would be impossible. We went on a 5-day Disney cruise last week. I was walking constantly and climbing stairs continuously... and I still gained a couple of pounds.
4th April 2011
Seychelles Islands 019

Wow!
Oh my god, that looks magical! I'm so happy for you.
7th April 2011

love reading your blog!
Just wanted to let you know I love reading your blog. It sounds like you both enjoying every minute. We are just finishing spring break with another family at Disneyworld. We also did Universal with the Harry Potter park. They girls were in heaven. We head back today. No one wants to go back to school. They want to stay on a vacation and not go back to school. Happy Travels!
8th August 2011

Wonderful blog!
I'm so enjoying reading about your travels... in fact, it's monopolized quite a bit of my time today... I've read from start til now and I'm going to call it a night! :-) Enjoy your travels!

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb