Would I Want to Return to San Juan, Puerto Rico? Yup, Hands Down!


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Caribbean » Gulf of Mexico
March 15th 2023
Published: March 19th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Our port of call on Wednesday, March 15, 2023 was San Juan, Puerto Rico, our fourth port in four days. As of midway through the cruise, I had subscribed to only two (both culturally oriented) shore excursions in these final four ports, and “Puerto Rico Folklore: A Latin Traditions Show” was one of them. In all of my travels, when I find folkxxxx in the title of an event, I’m usually all in. From the Holland America web site: “Puerto Rico's folklore heritage has been shaped by many vibrant rhythms from across the globe. Today's dazzling show is a virtual journey through the world of music and dance, with steps and sounds originating from Cuba, Brazil and Dominican Republic. You'll also notice the beat of Africa and a fiery expression of Flamenco from Spain. Enjoy popular rhythms such the Mambo, Samba, Merengue, Plena and Salsa. This high-energy Latin fiesta, featuring guitarist Juan Carlos, cleverly combines the many sub-cultures of beautiful Puerto Rico. Be a part of the show, embrace the experience, and enjoy the magic of latino folklore. Notes: One beverage is included. Minimum age is 10 years, with parental discretion advised. Minimum age to consume alcohol is 21 years. Dress code is casual; it can be shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops are allowed, however tank top shirt are not allowed. Tour operates subject to meeting a minimum number of participants. Show may not be exclusive to Holland America Line guests.”

I was quite disheartened to learn two days before the show that a lack of interest had resulted in cancellation of the show. I knew my friend, Tony, had booked a tour in San Juan and asked him which tour. We have similar interests, and I didn’t think I would be disappointed. I got the last seat on the bus for the “Puerto Rico's Favorites” shore excursion. From the Holland America web site: “Explore two of the most popular places on the island of San Juan -- the Old Town and the spectacular El Yunque Rain Forest. In the Old Town, watch for some historical landmarks, including the Capitol building. Visit the San Cristobal Fortress -- the largest fort in the New World -- built by the Spaniards in 1634. Your panoramic drive continues to New San Juan, where you will see the Condado District, famous for its striking beaches, upscale hotels and casinos. Visit the only tropical rain forest in US territory -- the El Yunque Rain Forest. This natural treasure exhibits jungle-like vegetation, amazing waterfalls and cool, fresh air. As you return to the ship, guests who wish to stay in town to shop or explore independently are welcome to do so, but must make their own way back to the ship. Notes: There is no hiking required. Suitable for all ages and fitness levels. Wear sturdy non-skid walking shoes. Bring a raincoat, water and a snack; or you can purchase a snack during the stops. The air-conditioning is turned off during the climb to El Yunque. Some of the stops are unguided, allowing guests to explore on their own. Traffic can be unpredictable. The driver will do his/her best to keep moving safely. Your patience is greatly appreciated. Delays occasionally extend tour duration.”

This might win honors as “The Most Overstated, Understated and Inaccurate Shore Excursion Holland America Has Ever Marketed.” First, we drove through town to the rainforest and then drove through (vs. explored) the rainforest to La Torre Yokahú (Yokahú Tower) in El Yunque National Forest. Yokahú Tower is a 75-foot-tall observation tower built by the U.S. Forest Service in 1963 to give tourists
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – El Yunque National Forest“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – El Yunque National Forest“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – El Yunque National Forest

Sing Along with The Hollies – “Look Through Any Window, Yeah; What Do You See …”
a chance to appreciate the beauty of the forest from a different perspective. Interpretive signs are set around the base of the tower to provide information about the national forest and to point out major landmarks. I decided to climb the tower’s 98 steps to its viewing platform so I could absorb the panorama. Windows are set at different levels in the tower’s outer wall to offer glimpses of the pending views. The climb was reminiscent of the days I travelled the U.S. and climbed every lighthouse I could find that was open to climb. Did I just say that we visited the Yokahú Tower? The shore excursion description sure didn’t. Oops. Next, we drove to the “amazing” 85-foot Catarata La Coca (La Coca Falls). After experiencing no rain for the last three weeks, the waters of La Coca Falls merely trickled over the face of a huge rock formation at the bottom of the falls. Did the description say “amazing waterfalls” – plural? Oops. We drove through but did not EXPLORE “… two of the most popular places on the island of San Juan -- the Old Town and the spectacular El Yunque Rain Forest.” A note to the author – the island is Puerto Rico, and the city is San Juan! Our final stop was at San Cristobal Fortress. Based on the number of people in the fortress, I would argue that it should be included as a “popular place on the island of San Juan.” Tony and I EXPLORED the fortress for the full allotted 45 minutes and could have stayed longer.

Since free shuttles were operating between the ship and Old Town, we decided to stay in Old Town to EXPLORE the city’s old-world charm and have some authentic Puerto Rican lunch. Old San Juan (Viejo San Juan) is, indeed, located on a small, narrow island and is united to the mainland of Puerto Rico by three bridges. The oldest city in the United States was founded by Spanish colonizers in 1521; whereas, Saint Augustine, Florida wasn’t settled until 1565. While Old San Juan has no beaches, no resort hotels and not a whole lot of natural beauty; it's still said to be one of the most interesting places to visit in Puerto Rico. The beautiful architecture accented with tropical colors made it the most delightful of the five cruise destinations in the Caribbean. We asked a pair of police officers for a good local restaurant, and we were offered two choices. Rain was threatening, so we opted for the one closer to the shuttle pick-up point. Shazam! Tony had fish and rice while I opted for the calamari and rice. Muy bueno. In Puerto Rico, I got exactly what I wanted from the cruise stop – time to see if I wanted to come back for a longer visit. I do! And if I do, I hope there will be sufficient interest to stage a performance of the “Puerto Rico Folklore: A Latin Traditions Show!”


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – El Yunque National Forest“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – El Yunque National Forest
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – El Yunque National Forest

I Was Both a Lighthouse Nerd and a Waterfall Nerd and This, My Friends, Is NOT an “Amazing Waterfall”
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress

A Substantial Number of Visitors Seemed to Be at Every Turn
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress

Tony’s Heart Is as Compromised as My Lungs So We Just Took It Slow and Easy
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress

Why Oh Why Did My Potos Suddenly Have Black Left and Right Margins
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress

Metal Track for the Wheels Under the Cannon So It Could Be Turned Left or Right to Adjust the Trajectory
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – San Cristobal Fortress

This Fire Control Station Was Build During World War II to Coordinate Artillery Fire
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – Old San Juan“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – Old San Juan
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – Old San Juan

Wandering Around Old San Juan’s Narrow Streets and Admiring the Colorful Buildings
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – Old San Juan“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – Old San Juan
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – Old San Juan

Calamari and Rice, Fried Plantains, Beans (in the Cup), Bread and Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade – No Beer Here! (Note the Plasticware)
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – Old San Juan“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – Old San Juan
“Puerto Rico's Favorites” Shore Excursion – Puerto Rico – Old San Juan

Our Last Port of Call – Tony, with the Fortress in the Background


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb