USA-Cruise-Europe-Days 14-18


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic
April 20th 2009
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Days 14-18



The next morning (20/4/2009) I was up early & went up to the front of the boat on Deck 15 to watch the sunrise. The difference in temperature from Fort Lauderdale was quite apparent-it was very windy & cool. At the front of the boat there is a Helicopter Landing Pad.







The Basketball court was also at the front of the boat on Deck 15. There is an indoor observation lounge on deck 14, where you could just sit on a comfy chair or lounge & look out to sea. The observation lounge also is used for competitions & in the evenings as a bar & nightclub.







Each day on board, the cruise line issues a daily leaflet on the day's activities. Activities start from around 9 am & run through till late in the evening. Activities include Trivia, Dance Lessons, Hot Glass Show, Battle of the Sexes, Croquet, Bocce, Table Tennis, Basketball, Poker, Bridge, Spanish & French Classes, Wine tasting, Guess That Tune, Lectures, Bingo (which is expensive to play), Karaoake, Computer classes, Photography classes, Disco etc.

I tried to learn some Cha-Cha dancing on that first morning in the Entertainment Court on Deck 4 (luckily there is no photograhic evidence). At 10 am we watched the Hot Glass show up on Deck 15. The show was quite interesting, watching a vase take shape.







From memory, I believe I had a swim in the pool at some stage, either before or after lunch. Lunch would have been in the Oceanview Cafe.

In the afternoon around 3:30 I entered in the Table Tennis Tournament, but was knocked out in the first round. At 6pm we ate dinner in the Grand Epernay, this time at a table for 13 people located away from the main eating area beside the windows. After dinner at 9pm we attended the first show in the Solistice Theatre. It was a variety show featuring the house band & other performers. The show was very entertaining, being hosted by a Canadian Cruise Director, Dru Pavlov, who was always entertains as well & always tells a joke at the closing of each show.

The following day (21/4/2009) I had the Canadian breakfast in the Oceanview Cafe. After breakfast, went up on deck 15 & had a go at some of the lawn games. The Solistice features real grass (which they water & mow each day). I tried the Golf putting, Bocce & Croquet.








On the way to the Entertainment Court 4, we passed by the Four Seasons Quartet playing. We then went to the 50's & 60's Guess the Tune - all the tunes were American & some we did not know (so we did not win!). Afterwards, the girls did their Line Dancing Class (which they did everyday that we were at sea).







Around 2:15 pm there was a Basketball throwing competion. There were about 8 or so participants (including me) & it turned out that Ronald was the best & he won a Celebrity Solstice Cap. At 6pm it was time for our first formal dinner, so we had to dress up in our best clothes.













After dinner, we took some photos outside the Grand Epernay.







Later in the evening at the Solstice Theatre, Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis gave his welcoming speech. The Captain is quite a funny guy-he gave a good speech & even told jokes. The show afterwards was called Ghost Light:The Spirit of Broadway & was quite good.







On Wednesday 22nd April at 10 am, I tried to learn how to play Bridge (very confusing at first, but later on it started to make sense), the Girls did their Line Dancing class at 11:15. In the Entertainment Court (outside Quasar) they sometimes set up a Big Chess Set where passengers can play.







Later on at 1 pm we participated in Movie Themes Trivia hosted by an Aussie guy (Shane). Afterwards, at 1:30 pm I participated in the Battle of the sexes Game.

Our Cabin number is 8192. It is quite comfortable for 2 persons. The room also features a balcony with a Table & 2 Chairs. The corridors to the state rooms are quite long & it takes a few days to get your forward or aft bearings.







By Thursday (23/4/2009) the Atlantic Ocean was starting to get a bit rough. I attended some Trivia competitons, but later rested in the cabin watching movies (as I was starting to get Pharyngitis & was not feeling too good). The Girls did their usual Line Dance classes.

Near the elevators, you can see several floors of the boat. On one of the floors they have an area dedicated to "Greening the planet", it has computers with touch screens & also features a large world Globe.







There are plenty of Lifeboats onboard. On Deck 15 next to the Hot Glass Show, there is a Museum that explains about Hot Glass & displays finished glass pieces.







In the evening after Dinner, the show featured a singer, Jamie Michael Stewart, who was an cast member of the TV show "The Love Boat".

On Friday morning (24/4/2009), I felt a little better & particpated in some morning Trivia's & then just rested for the remainder of the day.

By now the Atlantic Oecan was getting quite rough. It was hard to walk straight anywhere along the ship. Even in Bed or if seated, you could really feel the movement. Some of our group were feeling either seasick or a bit dizzy.

After dinner that evening, the show featured Jamie Michael Stewart again & a Violin player-Doug Cameron. Doug was an excellent entertainer & he played Classical Music, Jazz, Country & even Rock tunes.

The next day will see us reach our first port-Ponta Delgada in the Azores.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb