ROUGH SEAS


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic
April 23rd 2009
Published: April 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, 04/22/09
It was windy and rough seas again today - 40 mph. When we took showers, we noticed tsunami waves around our ankles in the tub. At dinner they had people dressed like pirates as you went into the “Caribbean themed dinner” so you could have your picture taken with them. I am fairly certain that they will be the only pirates we see. WE did discover that there are no firearms on the ship - British law. But they do have pirate plans and have all been to training.
After dinner, we went to the Explorer’s lounge for live music and then a comedy show - Celebrity Liars. The Captain, ship’s Doctor, comedian Darrel Jones and a production woman from the Princess Cruise office in Los Angeles were on the panel. They had to give definitions of odd words such as farture, which, by the way, is the smell of turkey dressing. Then the audience had to decide who was lying, who was telling the truth. It was a very funny evening. When we went to bed, the ship was really rocking and rolling. The 8-10 foot waves and 40 mph winds don’t make for smooth sailing. Good thing we aren’t susceptible to motion sickness.
Thursday, 04/23/09
We both slept pretty well despite the seas. The waves are even higher today - 14-15 feet high. The Promenade Deck is not open for walking; the swimming pools have been temporarily drained; they have postponed the live theater production for tonight - all because the ocean is so rough. We went up to the Skywalker’s Lounge on deck 18 after lunch to sit and have coffee; amazing to see the power of the ocean waves - water splashing up so high. The table on our balcony - deck 8 - gets splashed. It is good to know that we are safe despite all the turbulence outside our balcony. Things we have discovered about the people on our ship:
1. We are among the younger 10%.
2. We are among the 5% who are still working.
3. We are among the 90% who have cruised before.
4. The tour guide says we are all “travelers” and not tourists.
More later as Ken is already asleep and it’s just about nap time for me too. It's 2:45 PM our time and 9:45 AM your time. We keep losing an hour a night - to get ready for EU time. Valentine's Day dinner tonight, sounds like fun.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb