First entry at sea


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic
April 20th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Although our cruise instructions said to arrive between 1-4 PM, the free shuttle from the hotel left for the port about 10:45 AM. We were able to get on the ship by 11:30. It is a beautiful ship with 5 dining rooms and 3 swimming pools - easy to get lost. The ship sailed about 6, later than expected due to repairs to an electric motor and late arriving passengers. We had a bottle of wine and a lovely prime rib dinner and went to bed fairly early. The ocean was sort of rough and Laurie didn’t really sleep all night - kept worrying “shaken old lady” syndrome.
Sunday was a beautiful day; so warm and nice. Ken had refused to bring shorts, so the first purchase we made on board was a pair of khaki shorts for him. We went to a wonderful wine tasting session in the afternoon - even got to taste the Opus One wine. After a nap - Laurie actually slept - we dressed up for the first formal night. After dinner we went to the Captain’s Reception and then to the first of the productions in the Princess Theater - Broadway Ballroom. We topped off a great day with a drink in the Crooner’s lounge, listening to a talented singer. After the first full day, Laurie had found 2 new careers - either the arts and crafts director or floral designer on a cruise ship. Haven’t figured out yet what Ken will do.
Monday is another beautiful day with a very quite ocean. We watched “A Bee Movie” on the giant movie screen outside by one of the pools. Hard to imagine you can watch a movie in the morning outdoors. Met a couple form Lincoln today - guy was in a CBB t-shirt. Right now it’s 11 am NE time; the ship is going 22.2 knots and we are 870.4 miles out from Ft. Lauderdale. We have 2475 left to our first port, Funchal on the Madiera Islands; we don’t get there until Saturday the 25th.
What a life - eat, drink, watch movies and shows, listen to music, escape from reality.

We miss our family and friends but someone had to accompany this ship across the Atlantic and why not us.
Love to all at home facing reality from Laurie and Ken.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



20th April 2009

stowaway
If I was thinking clearly, I would have figured out a way to stow a way in your cabin.. looks awesome! It's 40 degrees here today with a 20mph wind out of the north!... yikes.. is this really spring? Have fun and don't worry about us landlubbers that have to toil away while you are having fun!
20th April 2009

WOW!!!!!
LOVED getting your message today!!!!!! Continue to enjoy while we "slave away" here. = ^..^ = Not toooooo much news from here--"same-old-same-old". Wind is blowing about 40mph today-not a good golf day; temp is 65*. l8r
21st April 2009

good for you
We are so happy that you are having a great time.

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb