Touring Martinique


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
March 15th 2017
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 14.65, -61.0208

Today was a mixed bag of weather. We had showers, downpours and sunshine. But unfortunately we never saw the clouds leave so we could see the mountains or the volcano. We left the pier are in sunshine but it didn't last long. We left and headed toward St. Pierre which is the old capital of Martinique. Most of these villages are fishing villages with fish stand along the road. The roads are narrow and it is very mountainous.

We then travel to the area of the island where much of what we saw was old partial building that had been destroyed by the eruption of the volcano and what had been rebuilt since 1902. The beaches in the area are black sand and rock. This kind of soil,is very good for growing fresh fruits and vegetables.

We then headed to,the de Paz rum distillery. We toured the distillery and the grounds which were beautiful. But we also got drenched. Lots of sugar cane, bananas and other fruits and vegetables grow here. They export as much sugar cane as they use in the 10 different rum distilleries on the island.

We then traveled to the rain forest side of the island and traveled on the one road through the rain forest. It was very windy and narrow. But it was so beautiful, green and lush. Beautiful flowers, ferns, and bamboo along the roads.

After following this road down into,the city we visited the Sacred Heart Basilica. This is modeled after the big cathedral in France . We came back further into downtown area and then back to the port.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb