TRIP TO SOLOMON ISLAND


Advertisement
Solomon Islands' flag
Oceania » Solomon Islands » Guadalcanal
July 28th 2009
Published: July 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sunrise at seaSunrise at seaSunrise at sea

Very tranquil time at sea
We left Wallis island on 14th July at 3.00pm, however, not before I visited the dentist. All weekend and during the public holiday I had problems with my tooth. We decided to take the precaution and make sure everything was OK. It wasn’t. The dentist diagnosised a tooth abscess and gave me antibiotics for the trip. It worked a charm and felt a lot better, however it puts an end to the diving until it is repaired. So I will probably be home early.

We went out the same narrow channel where we entered Wallis Island. Fortunately, the current was with us and we traveled out at a speed of 10 knots with the engine barely ticking over for about ½ mile. It was quite scary and I was glad when we were clear of the island. It was basically down wind all the way to the Solomon Islands, with and average speed of 5 knots. There was one day, early on, when we hit the dizzy heights of 1.5knots so Brain turned on the engine for about 18hours when the wind finally returned, there was another when we were going 7.5-8knots (too fast for us) and Brian dropped the main and we just had the Genoa, for the rest of the trip. We had a few sunny hot days followed by mostly overcast and a few wet days. However generally it was a reasonable crossing.

The crossing took 11 days to go 1400mile. What did we do?? Well, for me the first few days were spent getting my sea legs - translated means being sick!! Then I settled into a routine of lots of reading, watching movies when the engine was topping up the batteries, crocheting, sleeping a lot, listening to my ipod, and lots of time to think. The highlight of the day was at 3.00pm when we worked out our mileage for the day, and predicted how long it would take. On good days we were happy and on not so good days we were flat. Brian and I got on well considering we were together 24/7, and we are still talking to each other

We arrived at Marail southern part of quadolcanal In the Solomon Islands where we filled the boat up with lots of spring water and cleaned the boat. It is a lovely tranquil spot. I can hear and see white cockatoos. We are now in Honara the capital of The Solomon Islands.

Have a great cup match all those in Bermuda.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb