almost at the end of our holiday


Advertisement
Samoa's flag
Oceania » Samoa » Upolu
August 17th 2017
Published: August 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The last two days have been opposites yesterday pretty much rained all day, so we went to the art galleries that we could find, this amounted to two, The first had some interesting pieces but was more a tourist shop with some pieces particularly prints which were somewhat overpriced for what they were. Maybe because it was very close to a fairly large expensive resort. The second place we went to which was the EPKS museum which is attached to a fine arts school. It was really a gallery rather than an museum and it was refreshing to see quite creative and original artworks. Like much of Samoan culture religion controls all aspects of life and this includes the art school and museum, so artworks must fit within a christian framework, which limits the works of course, however many of the works focus on traditional themes without crossing the boundaries of religion. It was here we found our artwork to take home and it will be a miracle if it makes it home intact. It was very challenging driving but Terry only had to stop once to let the rain calm down a bit, one couldn't really see where the road was and the sea started there was a lot of surface flooding but like always in the topics once it stops a bit the surfaces seem to drain quickly.

When we got back we managed a swim and went to the island show night at the hotel which was a lot of fun. The Kiwi under 16 soccer team were there and it is good to know that they are into the final this Friday so we wish them well. This night was ended with the traditional fire dancing which was pretty amazing in the rain of the evening.

Today was fine and hot, the humidity was pretty intense with the rain of the last couple of days. We started the morning on a bit of a mission to figure out how to get our sculpture back in one piece to NZ. Yet to be seen.

We went to do the bush walk to Robert Louis Stevenson tomb, we took the short route to the tomb which was pretty steep. Once you get there it was lovely and peaceful and the view would have been amazing in the day. Now trees are quite tall but you still can see Apia to the sea. We took the long route down which was less steep but more slippery, any way it was really worth doing and we didn't think we would have the time to do it this trip. After this we went for snorkel for a couple of hours a Pololo Deep again, lots of fish and it was nice to cool off a bit after our walk. Finally back to the hotel for a quick dip in the pool before dinner time. A active day and we a both quite tired.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb