Kaikoura, Abel Tasman & Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
October 21st 2006
Published: October 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Leaving the misery of Mount Cook, I took a deserved break in the natural mineral waters of Hamner Springs. Surrounded by forests and mountains, with the rain pouring down on us from upon high, sitting in the sulphur and mineral pools we felt refreshed and rejuvinated....although I'm not sure exactly what the healing properties were, as the only customers bar ourselves seemed to be at least 100 years old with the wrinkles to prove it.

Moving on, there was a quick stop in Kaikoura, for a spot of whale watching..but wouldn't you know, they don't warn you about the lack of whales due to whaling stations in the area (and of course, the Japanese!) until you are OUT on the boat, and you have paid over the money! Thomas, being a little skeptical of the whole affair, stayed on land while I ventured seaward, and I was rewarded with sightings of 2 sperm whale, which are pretty amazing creatures when you get up close. They stay at the surface for approximately 15minutes getting oxygen, then deep dive (with the obligatory tail flip) for about 45 minutes before returning to the surface. After the whales, got to see some dusky dophins and some more seals.

The summer season is beginning to kick in here in NZ, with the roads choked full of campervans and caravans, which is a nightmare when you are on the (numerous) windy roads. The funny thing is, they're not populated by the typical 20-something backpacker, but mainly retirees and the local press here are really giving them stick at the minute.

There was some respite from the rain in Nelson (the geographical centre of NZ allegedly), where we visited Abel Tasman national park, set along the coastline line full of picturesque sandy beach inlets. The proper way to see the park is to kayak it, but with gusty winds and waves, coupled with our previous experience on the pedal boats in China, we decided to give it a miss and instead hike along part of the Great Walk along the headlands for a few hours, which gave us a good view to point and laugh at the struggling kayakers out on the sea!

But alas, the storms caught up with us again at the ferry, which delayed our crossing to Wellington, and completely ruining the 3 days we had in the city. Apart from visiting the national museum Te Papa, where the most interesting exhibits related to the Maori culture, Wellington was a let-down, mostly due to the weather - but at least it did spur us into organising the last leg of our journey, and so instead of chilly Canada, we'll be spending the last 3 weeks in the balmier climates of Guatamala and on the beaches of Belize, before flying home on the 7th December....can't believe it's down to a matter of weeks now! How depressing!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Scourge of NZScourge of NZ
Scourge of NZ

..campervans everywhere!!


Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 123; dbt: 0.1311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb