South island road trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
January 2nd 2016
Published: January 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

After a week or so in Christchurch and some christmas celebrations there was time for a road trip around the south island. Finally the sun arrived in New Zealand and the first day we drove from Christchurch down the middle, over a lot of mountains and finally to Queenstown. We spent the afternoon, evening and night there going up in the gondola watching some spectacular views and just hanging in the city. The next day we jumped back in the car and took sight on the west coast and fore most the two glaciers of Fox and Franz Joseph and also looking at some other sights along the way. We stayed to night in Greymouth and old gold mining town and the biggest city on the west coast. On day three we headed up north towards Nelson for a day on the beach and after that on to Picton a very cute little sea side town and where you can catch the ferry up to the north island. Day four was spent exploring the wineries in the Marlborough region tasting lots of bubbles and other wine before heading to Leannes brother for the evening. Next day was my birthday and we headed to Hanmer Springs an alpine town with natural hot springs and a great spa and we spent the day in the hot pools. For new years we headed to Kaikoura famous for its whales and after a rather cold and windy new years eve we had booked us in on one of the boats on the 1st to hopefully get to see one of the amazing sperm whales that are semi resident in the area. Luck was definitely on our side and we got to see three magnificent fully grown male sperm whales and the tour finished off with watching about 200 dusky dolphines play. This experience is truly the high light of my trip so far and one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I can truly recommend Whale watching in Kaikoura for anyone who is near by. In the evening we headed back to Christchurch and early this morning I flew to Wellington who really hasnt showed itself from the best side yet with heavy rain and fog so far. Fingers crossed for an improvement of the weather over the next few days.

So long


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb