Tuesday 3/2/15 Christchurch to Hokitika


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
February 17th 2015
Published: February 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 3/2/15 Christchurch to Hokitika

So since it is still yesterday at home and mums birthday it seemed like a good day to phone home. Had breakfast at the other cafe, made the call and headed away from Christchurch across the country to Hokitika via Arthur's Pass. As you'd expect there was a lot of up and down, spectacular scenery again and a change in temperature (down). We passed the area that had been on fire and had closed the road a few days ago.Stopped for lunch in Kumara, the Theatre Royal Hotel! Old gold rush town but probably not as prosperous now. Barman, possibly the manager, told us to look out for the driftwood sculptures on the beach at Hoki.Arrived, checked in and drove a few k'a to the Blue Gorge it was a bit muddy grey actually but can change depending on the weather and what is being carried down stream. It was quite spectacular either way and another swing bridge to cross as well. Got back to Hoki and took a walk into the town, the beach was a revelation, some of the sculptures were brilliant, dinosaurs, hot air balloon, a large bed, Neanderthal man and loads more.The shops in the town might be worth a look in the morning when they are open.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb