Day 79


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
January 18th 2011
Published: January 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to take a road trip! To the end of the Mt Aspiring track road. This is basically out in the direction we headed on the bike at the start of the cycle leg of the race, but, rather than turning around at Hospital Flat, you just keep going! And going, and going, as it turns out. The tarmac gives way to unsealed road, and then there are fords and all sorts to try and navigate! Was glad we’d not gone in our car. The drive itself was very impressive, some looming mountains on either side, alongside a river, with some bridges and sheep everywhere!!! Had to stop because there was about 1km of sheep in the road on the way back, and then Helen and her folks had to get out of the car and rescue a sheep which had somehow been caught by its foot in a wire fence. She was soon on her way with no harm done. The end of the road arrived finally….at almost exactly the same time as the rain did, and so the planned walk was cancelled (although, to be fair, I was never going to be walking anywhere, I’m still barely able to walk properly as my feet hurt so much!) and we sat under a shelter and had a picnic before heading back again along the road. So much amazing scenery everywhere it was hard to know where to look!
Met james tracy and the kids for drinks in town at 4pm, and Tracy was kind enough to give me a lift back afterwards, and we headed home for dinner, pasta with bacon, well nice. Feet still really sore so put my feet up and logged onto Facebook to find Felix had asked to be my friend there!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb