Sweet As South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
August 5th 2010
Published: March 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Gut en Tag!

So after an early 6 o'clock start we took the ferry over to Picton taking in the sites of the Malborough sounds on the way to th eMalborough Wineries - seemed a good a place to start the south as any! This consisted of vinyard after vinyard which equated to Jan and I pretending to know about wine and trying every eine to compare, it would be fair to say we were quite merry and I can now say a fan of a good Sav Blanc! After a rest we headed for Nelson for the night a sleepy little northern town. The next morning was supposed to be an early start but ended up us taking a little longer and settled for seeing Golden Bay and Takaka or the day whih wass beautiful beaches and coastline. Jan had a sulk in the car after he though he broke his camera while I snapped away at the glorious sunset. We stayed in a campsite for the night bewfore planning to walk Abel Tasmen National Park for the day, this was a beautiful coastal walk along the beach and throught he forest and it would not be the first time I though it this trip that what was I doing on a beautiful walk like this witha big crazy German, I should be serending someone likethe lovely Anna through these beautiful countrysides!

After the wealk on my cheap trainers my feet rested up and we slept the night on the side of the road. I thought i'd give it a ago - once was enough! THe car glass frosting from the inside two hours slepp and I couldnt feel my toeas I told Jan in no uncertain terms it would be the first and last time I would bve sleeping in the Subaru. Today was a day of beautiful sights and a lovely drive (*another activity which would have got browning points with the ladies!) from Buller Gorge down through to the Seal Colony at WEstport and tthe stunning coatal drive downto Greymouth. After that long day of driving though we rounded it up with a boring beer tour of Monteiths listening to some old guy drivel on about metal tins as we all waited to tuck into the beers.

The day after we had another nice drive down the Frans Josef Glaciers before taking ont he blue slippery masses the next day. THis was fun but a half day would have sufficed onced you have been in two or three glaciers you get the drift and it no longer lacks that excitment of the first ones. After this the next days were



Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb