If found, please leave at Room 308 - Base Backpackers, Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
January 3rd 2010
Published: January 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

If you mention, Queenstown to anyone, they will immediately tell you that it is the drinking / adventure sport capital of New Zealand. If you want to jump off a bridge with a piece of string attached to your legs, or drink teapot cocktails then this is the place you need to be. I planned to spend a week here as I was going to do the Nevis Bungee, and also get some partying out of my system. The four guys from Abel Tasman (Sam, Olly, Rob and Tom), two guys from our bus (Tom and Luke) and I all shared a dorm, room 308. It was the start of a great week together.ome great relationships were built in that week. The only let down with Queenstown is that it is very similiar every night. Same bars, every night took its toll, and the strict clamping down of people who are drunk in bars didn’t help us much. In NZ, if you are drunk in a bar then you are asked to leave immediately, which happened to people in our group more than once.
Rob, Olly, Sam and I decided to play some indoor golf whilst in Queenstown. The rules were simple. If you came last, you bought a round of drinks. If you shot double figures on a hole then you also bought a drink. In the first game, Rob came last and Olly shot a ten on a hole. This meant that Sam and I enjoyed two free beverages that night, and I gave Rob and Olly stick all night about how good the beer was going to taste, or what year champagne I was going to be drinking. This was very short lived. Karma has a way of always biting me in the rear and the second time we played the golf, not only did I shoot a ten on a hole, but I also came last. I don’t have to tell you how much Olly and Sam enjoyed that.

Our last night in Queenstown we decided to go out in a bang and get dressed up. The initial idea was that we all picked a name out of a hat and bought that person an outfit from the local Salvation Amy store. Luckily, or unluckily depends who pulled your name out of a hat, the store was closed as it was a Sunday. So we searched around town for a different idea. Luke spotted some sexy Santa outfits in a shop and before you know it a group of heterosexual men had partied with money for Santa hats and very short Santa shorts. The final night in Queenstown was planned down to a tee. Fergburgers all around, then up to the bottle shop to get some drinks to enjoy before we went out to World Bar. After a few words from Olly about how this ‘wolf pack’ came together when were changed and out enjoying our last night in Queenstown.

Drinking the night before a 500km bus journey is not going to one of the smartest things that I have done whilst in New Zealand, but it was my last night in Queenstown and room 308 was going to be disbanded. For the last week we have lined the coffers of Fergburger whether it has been morning, lunch, dinner or 2am, got on first name terms with the James, the guy who works in the off licence to whom we a have paid a visit to for the past week and have been told to keep the noise down more times than we have eaten Fergburgers.

The bus to Christchurch was leaving at 8.15. Luckily, Sam, Olly and myself had packed the night before, so we wandered down to the bus all feeling like we had gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson and smelling like the inside of a fake leg. Luckily we got the back seat so the whole of the journey was spent asleep sprawled across five seats. This was until about 20 minutes from getting to Christchurch and Sam started being sick in the plastic bag tied at the end of the seat. The girl’s seat which the bag was tied to looked disgusted whilst Sam was emptying the contents of his stomach right next to. Olly and I probably didn’t help by wetting ourselves laughing at Sam being sick in the bin.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb