The Catlins


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
April 7th 2009
Published: April 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Me at Mclean FallsMe at Mclean FallsMe at Mclean Falls

What a change - me in front of a waterfall - surely not!
Catlins 21st - 25th March

We had a day at Curio Bay with Simon and Maddie, our friends from Invercargill. We walked along the beach, which was beautiful, and saw seals sunbathing on the sand.Next we visited the 'petrified forest'. This is a fossilised forest on the beach. At first we couldn't make out what we were supposed to be looking for. Rob and Simon played at being 'scientists' in search of the fossils - finally Simon sussed it out and we found our first fossilised tree! Only after that did we realise we weren't actually on the main area - that was further down! Feeling pretty foolish we made our way there where we found info boards and lots of obvious tree remains! After that we went to Niagara Falls - yes, really! Someone obviously had a sense of humour when they named them - they aren't even really a waterfall. We had a laugh taking photos of the amazing spectacle which lay before us! Exhausted with excitement after this, we went to a nearby cafe for coffee.

A couple of days later we left Simon and Maddie's house in Invercargill and made our way back to the Catlins. We visited Mcleans Falls, Tautuku peninsula, Purakaunui falls and Surat Bay. We saw the NZ fernbird at Tautuku and Surat Bay - it's a really pretty but shy bird. It posed beautifully on a boardwalk for us. I tried to go for a walk along Surat Bay, but a rather large sealion blocked my way. I decided he was bigger and scarier than me, so left him to enjoy the beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Rob and Simon at the petrified forestRob and Simon at the petrified forest
Rob and Simon at the petrified forest

Playing at being scientists - do guys ever grow up?
A seal at Porpoise BayA seal at Porpoise Bay
A seal at Porpoise Bay

Having a good scratch
The petrified forestThe petrified forest
The petrified forest

You can see the fossilised trees lying on the beach
Me and Rob at Niagara FallsMe and Rob at Niagara Falls
Me and Rob at Niagara Falls

Wow! What a spectacle - you can see how thrilled we were at these amazing falls - a real 'must see'
Maddie juicingMaddie juicing
Maddie juicing

The mad juicer! Maddie was obsessed with her newly acquired juicer - if it wasn't nailed down, she'd be juicing it!
Me at Purakaunui fallsMe at Purakaunui falls
Me at Purakaunui falls

Yes, okay, so it's me posing in front of yet another waterfall! I've resolved not to do any more of these!
Oreti Beach, InvercargillOreti Beach, Invercargill
Oreti Beach, Invercargill

This is where Simon and Maddie go surfing
The  sealion at Surat BayThe  sealion at Surat Bay
The sealion at Surat Bay

There was no way I was going to walk past him!


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb