Goodbye New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
August 24th 2007
Published: August 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

First up, apologies for another blog so soon but we are leaving for Oz tomorrow and it seemed silly to make the next/this entry cover 2 countries. Also we have been quite busy on the activites front and I know that you all desperately want to hear about it, or that you use the internet too much and have nothing better to do with your time.

After I manouevered our van into a post, we decided to head to Kaikoura (minus one rear light cluster) which is home to an abundance of various sea life. Those of you with an interest in Sea Life (or Marine Geography) may like to know that this is because the coast at Kaikoura has what is known in the trade as 'Coastal Upwelling' which provides lots of nice fish for bigger sea things to eat.

We arrived and booked our tickets to go whale watching straight away. The cruise was worthwhile and we got to see approximately 5 whales. Cat claims she saw 7 but I think she was hallucinating because she was so excited. However it was when we decided to go swimming with dolphins that I thought she might actually wet herself, we both agreed that this trip was better than the whales. I can't really describe it, there were hundreds of Dusky Dolphins (Natures Acrobats, or so we were told) flying through the water, jumping splashing and coming extremely close to us. The only downside was that the sea was 9 degrees in temperature so by the end I couldn't feel my fingers or toes, the cold didn't effect Cat because she was too busy 'making friends' with the dolphins.

Once we had returned to dry land and warmed up we travelled up the beach to look at a seal colony, I was dissapointed because I was expecting there to be a cage full of black 90's soul singers, but apparently thats not what it was about at all. We did however see lots of Fur Seals, which are actually Sea Lions because of something to do with where they have their noses or ears or something. After this we headed to Christchurch where we have mainly been drinking and looking for garages to get quotes on the damage to the van. I massively prefer one of these activities to the other.

p.s. I would like to send out a personal message to Paul Robinson, supposedly England's No.1 Goalkeeper.
Paul I got up at 6.30am to watch the England Vs Germany match, and you were rubbish. When the public are backing David 'Calamity' James over you, then it's time to hang up your gloves and drift into obscurity. That is all.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Dolphins performing a starburstDolphins performing a starburst
Dolphins performing a starburst

I object to the term myself and prefer 'performing an Opal Fruit'


26th August 2007

jealous dogs
Cat the dogs are getting the vibes that they are no longer your favourites!
10th September 2007

easy guys sorry i missed your call, sorry i havent been on internett for ages shall catch up tonight gotta go now!peace and love

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb