N&G down the West Coast


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast
October 29th 2007
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lake MathesonLake MathesonLake Matheson

Norma and Adrianne at Lake Matheson (Fox Glacier)
We ultimately decided to take Mum and Graeme down to Fiordland this week - a long trek to squeeze into 5 days, but they were both very keen to see one of the dramatic sounds for which New Zealand is known around the world. So we headed out via Greymouth to Hokitika where we had our first stop to browse through the local museum. The museum is small but concentrated on local history. A fine green stone (pounamu - Mauri jade) display featured prominently as well as an intriguing scale model of a gold dredge made entirely out of Meccano. It apparently took some 3000 hours to complete. We had lunch on the patio of the Café de Paris. Before leaving town we went out to the mouth of the Hokitika River to watch a half dozen white batiers. Unfortunately the white bait was not running when we arrived, although the fisherman had been scooping them out by the bucket full yesterday. Nevertheless, it was interesting to see the big white nets in action.

Further down the coast we stopped at the site of the Ross goldfields. Here there were a handful of interesting mining exhibits - I am building up some significant expertise in the historic mining techniques. We took the 4x4 off the beaten track up next to a fossicker creek and took a short walk thru some classic West Coast podocarp forest where we caught site of a tui in the trees. Mum and I sauntered up one of the prominent hills in the area to the site of one of the older graveyards in Ross. In looking through the stones it was amazing to see how young these early immigrants died - often drown in the local creeks.

From Ross we headed down the winding coast road to Glacier Country. Before dinner we had a good view of the glacier from the view point out Cook Flat Rd. This viewing point is not well marked, but it is well worth the 10 minute drive - particularly on a clear day. Before heading in for the day we took a short walk around Lake Matheson. The lake was smooth as glass and reflected the distant mountains. Clearly a Kodak moment. We finished the night off at the Cook Saddle Cafe. Graeme’s fish was not so hot, but rest of the food was fine. The one major downside to Fox Glacier is the almost entire lack of acceptable internet access. However, the relative isolation in Glacier Country is probably a major attraction to most.


Advertisement



19th November 2007

An awesome event
You have missed the great heli-hike, the off road trip, quiz night, the god mine and much much more. I understand that you were so busy planning and taking us places you didn't have time to record it all. Just want others to know the trip was magical - thanks to you all

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb