Hot day down the West Coast...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Greymouth
January 10th 2008
Published: January 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So, we were going to wake up at 6:45 to get our day going early, since the sun exists nice and early in these parts. But...Murray was in charge of the alarm clock, so it was 7:30 when the body decided to start moving around. Still in good spirit, we headed off up island to see an arch, some caves, and some rain forest. Was a great view of the ocean to start our day, and then we travelled on a 16km stretch of single land gravel, only one mini bus on it's side, good thing it was a dry day. The arch was all it was built up to be, 200 metres long of limestone, 30 metres high and 40 metres wide...and just a trickle of an iron laden stream. We found a couple of caves to look at, but forgot our torch in our room. Good thing for the new camera, it has a auto focus beam that seconds very well for a flashlight, so we got to see most of the cave. Didnt see any spiders or other creepy crawlys, but did manage to see our first glow worm...it does glow in the dark! So, off we went to our room, making it back in the early afternoon, only an hour or so after we said we would return. All our things packed, we headed south, and found a seal colony and pancake rocks on our way to greymouth. So, now we are here in Greymouth, very burnt from the sun and ready for some sleep. We have some glaciers to look at tomorrow before we head on our train to catch our plane.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb