Franz Josef


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Franz Josef
January 19th 2006
Published: January 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Days 67 & 68



We boarded the bus and headed for The Bushman Centre where we saw a dvd of how they used to chase deer in the mountains on helicopters then jump out wrestle them and tie them up and fly them to deer farms in order to control their numbers. We then looked at their big fat pig, evil eels, a couple of possoms and deer - a very random place. We then dropped Stuart off to do hs sky dive over the fox glacier. He was taken to the town of Fox Glacier where he donned his jump suit and boarded the tiniest of planes which was pioleted by a ten year old boy (or at least he looked like one). Stuart was taken up to 12000 ft flying over Mount Cook and the glacier where he then jumped out. It was a really great experience, especially the 45 seconds of freefall and the views were stunning.

The next day we went on a 8 hour hike on Franz Josef glacier. We got kitted up and walked up to the glacier. It was good fun, especially when we got up to the blue ice and had to squeeze our way through crevaces. Only thing was the group in front was really slow so we had to wait around a lot which spoilt it a bit. In the evening we went out for a pizza as we couldn't be bothered to cook.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb