Water Falls. Jaws Drop.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Franz Josef
November 22nd 2005
Published: November 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

In Which We Discover That Waterfalls Are Where It's At, Baby!



Gadzooks. I'm about a day behind thanks to suffering through dial-up internet service at our last two hotels. Mind you, these places, while very nice, are also out in the vast nowhere. Pass the sheep farm, turn left at the goats, and look behind the grove of trees. That's where we've been. It's a wonder they have toilet paper, and I'm complaining about slow internet connections. In the immortal words of Jesus, there's just no pleasing some people.

A long, long day of travel today as we had to get from the mountains to the glaciers. Although they all meet at the top, you have to travel around their entire base to get from one to the other. It's a long haul.

And the road is so narrow you can see if the people passing you have visible panty lines.

And it was raining.

Perilous at times. But Rusty can travel through anything.

It seems that every day has an unexpected theme. Today's was waterfalls. There are these official government signs that line the roads here, pointing out little trails that lead to yet
Further Down The Road...Further Down The Road...Further Down The Road...

... there was another one.
another piece of ridiculously beautiful landscape.

The smart motorist pays these heed, careens his/her car across traffic and tries to stop safely on the 1.2 feet of open gravel meant to double as a parking space.

After you crawl out of the car, you'll find a description of the trail with a hint of the bounty to be had at its summit. Along with this will be an estimated time to complete the hike. Double this time and expect a path that will make endurance climbers weep. Everything comes with a price. Your payoff, however, will be some bit of nature that defies description.

Today it was rushing, roaring, cascading water from glacier and snow melting. It is spring here, afterall, and it has indeed sprung.

We were wondering over dinner (another horror show of a meal) why our necks hurt and finally figured it was because we'd been looking up in awe for so long.

Here's some photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Oooh.  Ahhh.Oooh.  Ahhh.
Oooh. Ahhh.

My mother sustains a neck injury.
It All Starts ...It All Starts ...
It All Starts ...

... at the top.
A River Runs Through ItA River Runs Through It
A River Runs Through It

The Haast Pass, where a river rages under a bridge. We literally found this because other cars were swerving to stop ... so we followed suit.
Proof That We're AliveProof That We're Alive
Proof That We're Alive

So many Mom pictures. You can tell that Rusty and I tend to hide behind the camera. Here's a rare moment when we ventured forth.
Mossy RocksMossy Rocks
Mossy Rocks

My big art shot of the day. At the base of one of the falls.


23rd November 2005

Beautiful
More beautiful shots. Thank you for letting me be a peeping tom into your gorgeous vacation!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb