Wanaka


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
November 12th 2014
Published: November 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Arrowtown Arrowtown Arrowtown

Rebecca's favourite town so far.
Left our laundry drying this morning and walked into Arrowtown, the prettiest town we have come across and the place we have felt most at home in. Have come back here again as its so lovely, we've even found the perfect river for Honey and Milo and Rebecca has made herself known in an amazing furniture shop where they design their own pieces, including a gorgeous curved sofa!

Really bizarre sitting in the spring sunshine drinking coffee next to flowering daffodils, lupins and aquilegia whilst hearing talk of getting ready for Christmas. Freya went panning for gold and soon found her fortune.

Later that morning took the Cardrona Alpine Pass over the mountain North towards Wanaka. Really twisty mountain roads with huge drops- time for Stuart to drive! Although the views made it worth it.

Lake Wanaka, absolutely beautiful. Great range of shops and restaurants here. Found a lovely lodge to stay in and decided to stay put for two nights. Time to jump in the hot tub!!! ?

The next morning Abby and Freya were whizzed off in a motor trike by the owner of the lodge. They toured around Wanaka, showing them lakes, villages, views,
Biker chicks!Biker chicks!Biker chicks!

Abby and Freya set out on their grand tour of Wanaka.
mountains and lots of other exciting things. Stuart and Rebecca went off on mountain bikes and explored down by the river. After that we had hot chocolate and snuggled up on the sofa with blankets and lit the fire while outside the rain fell and the wind blew! A couple of hours later the sky was blue again so time for a good walk and more exploring before returning to the hot tub then supper and a bottle of Cloudy Bay.

Next day a huge drive- from Wanaka back to Christchurch and beyond, about 450km (280 miles) on twisting mountain roads, passing through Twizel and Lake Tekapo and finally stopping with relief at a B & B named Rivendell at Waikuku beach, which didn't disappoint.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

WanakaWanaka
Wanaka

A leisurely cycle ride down by the river.
Are there any sheep coming!Are there any sheep coming!
Are there any sheep coming!

Yep! thousands of them!
Lindis PassLindis Pass
Lindis Pass

Another incredible view.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb