Wanaka bound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
March 14th 2013
Published: March 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Super bus journey passing all the mountain scenery in the early morning mist and by 10am I am in Wanaka. Ana is waiting for me at the bus stop with the 4x4 she has been leant, so we dump all my bags into it and then go for a coffee (hot chocolate for me) while we discuss plans. From here we head straight to the DOC office to check out which are the best walks around etc. At the office the advise us that the weather is going to turn, so we only have 48hours of good weather, which is essential if we are going to the mount aspiring region for walks. Luckily still being early, and the walk to mount aspiring hut from the start point only a few hours we had time to pack, sort food and get to the hut today for early evening – so that’s what we did. In the speed of light and a flurry of efficiency, we compiled food resources and made sandwiches for lunch on the way today and sorted out our food to cook and take for the next few days when we are in the hut. It took only a few minutes to pack our bags and before we knew it we were off, driving the 60km to the start of the walk on the rather bumpy unsealed roads! It was about 3pm when we started, stopping for our sandwiches on route with the mountains as our backdrop. It was nice easy walking through the valley. The views were far more spectacular and interesting than any of my previous walks which have all been through the forest, so it made a nice change. After another brief stop for a glass of wine along the way – very stylish in our camping mugs we reached the hut (Mount Aspiring Hut) around 5pm.

The hut was really lovely, with a bunk room for 14 people on one side, and then a large main room which contained the main kitchen area at one end, long bench tables in the middle, and then beds at the end next to the window, with stunning views of the river and mountains. Unfortunatly the beds by the windows were taken, so I settled for one in the bunk room, sorted my stuff and then Anna and I headed down to the river for a quick dip, it really was quick as the water was freezing as it is the snow melt from the surrounding mountains. This makes it but a beautiful crystal blue/turquoise and it was very refreshing. In the evening we cooked our meal and chatted chatted to the various people in the hut – its so interesting finding out where people are going, where they have been etc, and very different from the huts on the Kepler and other ‘Great Walks’ which are far more touristy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb