Wanaka


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
December 23rd 2012
Published: December 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Steve went jogging this morning and hurt his Achilles' tendon silly billy! After unpacking and sorting out washing we went with Amanda to Queenstown. The journey over the mountains was so beautiful, the landscape never fails to please, streams bordered by lupins and broome, snow capped mountains, incredibly blue sky, hawks flying overhead, and a winding road that you must concentrate on as it goes higher and steeper with hairpin bends. We stopped for some pictures then on to Frankton for some shops and lunch and then Queenstown.
Queenstown is situated on the lake and is very pretty and lots going on. It seems quite spread out but the shops are all in one place. Didn't stay very long as Steve couldn't really walk so I drove back the long way to avoid the hairpin bends.Came back made dinner then wrapped presents and got things ready for the next dayWe all went to Queenstown this morning and we swapped the car for one where the air conditioning worked. We then went on past Queenstown to the end of the lake to Glenorchy. The scenery was amazing very much like Scotland but warm. We stopped by the hotel and had lunch and then walked a little by the lake. It was so peaceful! The sand flies were biting and so we headed off. Although you come back by the same way the perspective was different and again the views of snow capped mountains and green fields and lupins and the occasional harrier hawk gliding by made this an amazing car journey. We stopped in Queenstown to pick up Harry and Lea and do some shopping for Christmas, I was amazed that there was so much food in the shops this late on Christmas Eve. We stopped in Arrowtown on the way back for a short walk and an ice cream. Really pretty town with a Wild West feel. We walked by the stream through the wood and back then back to Wanaka where Amanda made this simple but delicious egg and bacon pie, so we settled for the evening before Christmas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lake WanakaLake Wanaka
Lake Wanaka

Girls together


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb