Wanaka - Home Sweet Home


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
November 19th 2011
Published: November 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Driving through Haast Pass we stopped to check out waterfalls (they are everywhere). Entering Wanaka we were amazed. I mean, when we both think of places we want to live we basically list everything that Wanaka has. Green grass, huge turquoise blue lake, mountains galore, and lots of pasture land with lambs running around. We didn't think such a place could exist, but we were wrong. We hiked up Roy's Peak through sheep and lamb country to see the views and they were stunning. We love Wanaka. Maybe we'll start a sheep station here.

The next day we drove into Mt. Aspiring Park (the ride itself made would have made the whole thing worthwhile) and hiked to see the Rob Roy glacier. We even got to see a Kea, which is the only alpine parrot in existence (at least that is my understanding). I was expecting something the size of a parakeet, but it turns out the thing is HUGE and it will steal your food if you aren't careful. Very beautiful though. The glacier was stunning and so were the views. Again, clear, deep blue water. We also hiked up the valley some to soak in the views before the storm clouds started moving in. From there we drove back down the 51 km dirt road to make camp and do laundry.

As a side note, off the dirt road was where they filmed the landscape to the south of Rivendale in Lord of the Rings.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb