It's a Puzzling World


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
April 4th 2006
Published: April 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We went to Wanaka a week before schedule in order to find a mechanic and plumber about our water tank problem. After a lot of hassle, turns out our tank isn't 45 litres big, and we're using about 20 litres a day without showers! (Because of the problem we were going to campsites and showering there). Anyway, Wanaka was a pretty town on the lake, but the coolest thing was a little place called Puzzling World.

It was an exhibition with some mind-boggling rooms! The first one was tipped at an angle, with objects cleverly positioned so that the snooker ball rolled up the table, there was an "Anti-Gravity Slide" where the bottom of ride was at the top and it felt like you went up the ride, and the water flowed uphill.

There was also a funky perspective room that was based on a trick that was used in Lord of the Rings. From the outside it looked like two doors of equal size on the far wall, but inside the ceiling was a metre tall on one side and 3 metres on the other, but the taller one is further back so perspective makes the room look normal. So when we walked in I was a giant and Eric was a hobbit! The best thing about it was that a camera at the other end filmed us and we could watch ourselves on TV afterwards with a 2-minute delay (that's the photos).

Another room was full of holograms that looked 3-D, but the last was the room of 'The Following Faces', which follow you round the room wherever you go. They look like they're sticking out, but they're inverted, so that you can actually stick your hand in them, but wherever you walk it looks like the heads are turning to face you! It's really weird. Anyway we spent a long time playing in there, before running outside to do the world's first (I think) 3-D maze, that was on 2 levels. We had to get to the 4 towers and out using the maze on the ground and a load of bridges that kept taking us in the wrong direction. Had lots of fun!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hall of following facesHall of following faces
Hall of following faces

They're looking at you!


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb