Wanaka for the day


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
March 21st 2021
Published: March 21st 2021
Edit Blog Post

Today was a Wanaka day so up and over the Crown Range again. This is our most favourite place in all New Zealand so we wanted to go and soak it up while it's still peace and loveliness without mass tourism. The weather was perfect - clear, sunny and windless apart from the cloud at the top of the range to drive through. My gosh, I just LOVE this climate. No wind. Unbelievable. And the best part (I can hear the detractors already) you don't have to walk through hours of bush to see the view!

I should mention that despite our love of the area it is very barren, rocky and hilly. No doubt winter is pretty severe too. The hills are covered in tussock, rocks, matagouri and merino sheep. Beauty with a rough background.

We bought some lunch and parked at the lake front where there was a most stunning view down the lake with snowy Mt Aspiring in the distance. After an hours walk on the lakeshore we got the car and drove out on the Matukituki Road, past Glendhu Bay to the Diamond Lake Track for a walk. We walked up through terraced schist rock to the smallish lake set in a rocky basin. Quite pretty. We could see a viewing platform way above the lake so headed up there. That was another slog uphill, then 250 man made steps and more uphill until we reached the lookout cantilevered over the lake far below. We still hadn't reached the Lake Wanaka Lookout, so onwards and upwards until it opened before us. A bit of a slog but worth the spectacular view at the top, across the lake and Glendhu Bay.

That was our taste of Wanaka for this year. Another visit next year perhaps with it as our base.

On the way back to Arrowtown we stopped again at the Cardrona Hotel for a drink and nibbles in the sun outside. It has such a wonderful atmosphere with fires burning inside, oldy-worldy furnishings, historical pictures, accommodation, a great bar and many places to sit and enjoy the surroundings. As we drove back over the Crown Range we thought about our friend Raymond and his Big NZ Cycle Trip, biking up the same road. He sure needs a medal for effort. That said, we met many other Sunday Cyclists either biking up, getting dropped
250 steps.  Are we there yet?250 steps.  Are we there yet?250 steps. Are we there yet?

The path leading up to the viewing platform over the lake
off at the top, or mountain biking down from the Ski Field. It seems to be quiet a mecca for cycling. Makes my pathetic effort yesterday look a bit sick.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb