Lazy Day


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
January 11th 2015
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -44.3968, 171.25

Today was a slow, lazy, unambitious day in Timaru. We cancelled our excursion, as the Botanical Gardens just didn't sound that motivating after a long day of 4x4's and jet boats.

Timaru is close to midway between Christchurch and Dunedin and is thought to have been a stop off point for the Maori traveling down the east coast of NZ in the 1400's. Timaru is an agricultural service centre of approximately 30,000 people and was constructed on rolling hills created by lava flows from the extinct Mt Horrible volcano and the result is streets undulate; a clear contrast with the flat landscape of the Canterbury Plains to the north. This volcanic rock is used for the construction of local "bluestone" (grey or olivine basalt) buildings such as the Dunedin Railway Station.

We walked into town, had coffee, visited a couple of stores (the few that were open on a Sunday and only from 10am to 4pm), walked down to the main City park and one of NZ's Top 10 beaches - Caroline Bay.

On the walk out to the Bay we noticed the landmarks indicating where the waterfront had been before various earthquakes.

We got a pleasant surprise with an free aviary with some very colourful birds on display and a little holiday fair on its final day. In fact, we saw the most colourful and cheeky bird we have ever seen, a Rainbow Lorekeet, which attempted to escape when Bonnie exited door one of a two door exit system. Short thereafter it proceeded to peck at my iPhone camera! The pink Galah parrot was also quite the camera magnet. The two of them created quite the little show - no not as good as those cat vidoes!!

Lastly, as we boarded the ship, a group of NZ folk dancers sent us off with a lively performance that had a celtic ring to it.

Got 3rd workout in - 1:40 and 1196 cals

Dinner tonight was our 1st reserved dinner in one of two upscale restaurants (Signatures), although I would say that all of the food services are quite upscale. The food has been excellent - too excellent! The quality and availability is the reason that on average cruisers GAIN between a half to one and a half pounds PER DAY.

As you will see, I refused the tie and sport jacket, but complied with the elegant casual dress code, which applies anytime after 6pm on board (no jeans, no shorts, collars required). My personal preference would have been smart casual, but at least there are no formal nights or tuxes required as on some other cruises!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb