The Doldrums and beyond...


Advertisement
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
May 3rd 2009
Published: May 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Since the boys left about a month ago, we have been a bit sluggish...we miss them so much, and are working our way back home...less than two months. While our social calendar had been relatively sparse except for other locums personnel, in the last couple of weeks, we have become social butterflies...well maybe social penguins...we have been to the homes of a number of Kiwis, and hosted a numbe... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

An elderly wheelchair-bound vet...An elderly wheelchair-bound vet...
An elderly wheelchair-bound vet...

leads the large group of folk of all ages marching...OK, strolling to the RSA. Notice the lady in the front row? Local MP (Member of Parliament). Trust the politicians to get into the act.
After the ceremony...After the ceremony...
After the ceremony...

After speeches, singing God Save the Queen and some other anthems, we checked out the RSA. Friendly group of vets, happy for allied vets to visit. Here is the 66 or 67 Mustang that our new friend David Wood has. Note the lift he has in his garage, just like the one Ron McCranie has...
Racecar...Racecar...
Racecar...

David's Ford Lotus with DOHC 4 cylinder engine that was copied by the Japanese and used to overwhelm our own auto industry. He races it on weekends.
Hmmm...Hmmm...
Hmmm...

Sticker on David's racecar...David told me I would be welcome at the RSA anytime...they are always happy to see allied veterans...not so much opponents...
Nahid, Helen, DavidNahid, Helen, David
Nahid, Helen, David

After a lovely loonsch.
Sunday afternoon near Caroline Bay...Sunday afternoon near Caroline Bay...
Sunday afternoon near Caroline Bay...

Tried to go to an old American car exhibit put on by a local car club, but they had gone home by 3 PM when we got there...however, the gypsies (burned out hippies by my assessment) were still there...
Whole lotta weirdness goin' on...Whole lotta weirdness goin' on...
Whole lotta weirdness goin' on...

coolest thing was this windmill airplane made out of Speight's beercans (other brands available, of course)'
Fork Art?Fork Art?
Fork Art?

Is that really art? Actually, they had some forks that they had decorated...hmmmm...
Old dysphonic dystonic doper band...Old dysphonic dystonic doper band...
Old dysphonic dystonic doper band...

I think I may have seen these guys when I was in college, during my mis-spent youth...
Look at that plunging neck line!!!Look at that plunging neck line!!!
Look at that plunging neck line!!!

Wonder where I can get one of these mirrors...[nahid] if you look closely Jack is there to my left, with a plunging waist line.
Would this be in Harrison's?Would this be in Harrison's?
Would this be in Harrison's?

What would the differential be, I wonder...
One man's prescription...One man's prescription...
One man's prescription...

it's good for you...which is something many of you may have been hoping for for some time...
The Southern Alps...The Southern Alps...
The Southern Alps...

On the way to Omarama.
A long one way bridge...A long one way bridge...
A long one way bridge...

and the guys coming the other way have the right-of-way. There are a lot of these around, must not have the money to invest in infrastructure...sounds familiar.
One of many hydro plants...One of many hydro plants...
One of many hydro plants...

NZ generates more hydro electricity than anyone else...environmentally nice, not necessarily cheaper. Dams and lakes all over the place.
Outside the alehouse in Omarama...Outside the alehouse in Omarama...
Outside the alehouse in Omarama...

A bunch of hunters tip a few at the Speights House in Omarama with their booty is spread out on the grass. This was the first day of doock huntin'.
Perhaps my best photo in NZ...Perhaps my best photo in NZ...
Perhaps my best photo in NZ...

A mysterious Mt. Cook peers out from behind clouds, across the turquoise Lake Pakaki. The unusual color is the result of the glacial flour (ground up rock) in the water. [nahid] a taste of Heaven?
Unimpressed by the view,Unimpressed by the view,
Unimpressed by the view,

two Kiwi couples circle the RV's a few feet from the previous photo, and do what they could have done at home. The ladies are actually facing the lake reading a magazine and a book, while the guys peer into the back of one of the RV's watching an auto race on the tele...note the satellite antenna on the ground...
Supper at the Reflections Restaurant...Supper at the Reflections Restaurant...
Supper at the Reflections Restaurant...

in Lake Tekapo, with the lake and mountains surrounding it in the background at dusk. [nahid] one of the most romantic interludes in NZ.
Taking a look at the heavens...Taking a look at the heavens...
Taking a look at the heavens...

through the one metre telescope at the Observatory on Mt. John, near Lake Tekapo.
GBA !!!GBA !!!
GBA !!!

God Bless America. I [Nahid] get a lump in my throat everytime I see our flag. I am soo proud to be an American. I thank God for bringing me to US. I would not trade our countries problems for the best the rest of the world has to offer!



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb